Saturday, October 1, 2011

31 Days Of Femininity: It all started in the garden



Femininity has been around since the world was created. It has manifest itself in various ways since it found its first expression in our mother Eve, but the scriptures are clear that God still intends for us as women to embrace and cultivate this quality today.

What is femininity, you ask? Here is a definition from Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

1. Pertaining to a woman, or women, or to females; as the female sex.

2. Soft; tender; delicate.

3. Effeminate; destitute of manly qualities.

When God created Eve in the garden, he made her to be a helpmeet to Adam. He did not create another man full of strength and vigor to be Adam's helpmeet. No, he created a tender, soft, compassionate female to be the loving helpmeet of Adam.

I think it is symbolic that God made Adam first, and then Eve second. I by no means think that women are any less important than men, but I do think this shows that we were created to complement men; to be their helpers, their support, their strength. Many women struggle with believing (as the feminist movement has done a thorough job promoting the idea that we are equal with men in every way) that women are just as strong, just as capable as men no matter what the task.

Let me ask you this question. If you were in the top story of a house that was on fire, would you be more confident in having a male firefighter, or a female firefighter climbing up that ladder to come and rescue you?

Likewise, if you had to go out of town for the weekend and leave your young infant in someone's care, would you rest at ease better if you left the child with a male to solely care for it, or a female?

As men and women, we have been created for different roles. One is not superior than the other. Certainly, God does not look more favorably on one sex than he does the other. The notion that feminine women can sometimes be soft, gentle and tender does not mean that they are less valuable than men. We are simply different. We were created to be uniquely separate, and to complement one another in our own respective roles.

Our calling to be submissive to our own husbands, meek, and gentle does not make us weak; rather, it makes us extremely strong in the Lord if we remain constant in filling that role. Why? We are walking in our proper God-given role as a woman. That's true strength and as such, sadly, you find very few genuinely strong women in our present society.

I'm praying the Lord will bless me as I attempt to share with you my understanding of a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Femininity is an enjoyable topic to write about and I look forward to exploring the who, what, when, and why of this quality that should always remain (and was always intended) exclusive to the female gender.


Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

At October 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this post. It's beautiful and encouraging!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Mrs. Stam said...

Great post and reminder, thanks

 
At October 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Canadagirl said...

Very well said my SSiC. ( Sweet Sister in Christ) I am looking forward to the rest of these posts.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

 
At October 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Anonymous Joyce said...

I love this post! And I can't wait for more! I am 25 years old and it's very hard trying to be the woman God wants me to be (esp being a black female), but I do my best. Sometimes I think I should have been born in the 1940's than the 80's because of my "old fashioned" thinking! LOL! And women are naturally designed to be "stronger" than men because God gave us the power to create and give birth to life!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

I agree. God created different roles for females and males but still equally important. Being submissive is not easy, and I'll be the first to admit that it's something I often fail at.

 
At October 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Brenda said...

Very excited to follow you the next 31 days, should be a fun and challenging time! I love how you gently pointed out the difference in men and women with you illustration of the fire and then the baby.

 
At October 1, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Angela said...

love it! looking forward to following along....

 
At October 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, this is not on topic, but as you are expecting... I was just wondering what your thoughts are on hypnobirthing? It's relatively new in my area, and I don't know anyone who has gone through it personally. I am looking for a Christian woman's perspective. I would really appreciate a post on Christian women and childbirth/labor. This will be our first child, and we are really lost as to what sort of classes we should take (if any). Thank you in advance!

-Jill

 
At October 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Jill,

I would suggest taking Bradley classes. I have never felt comfortable with hypnobirthing. I have no problem memorizing scriptures to dwell on, but how hypnobirthing is presented has never seemed right to me as a Christian. I have several friends who have gone through bradley classes with great success! I hope your labour goes well!!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger OrganizingMadeFun said...

Wonderful! Too many women are afraid to talk about submission - it's refreshing and our God-given duty to disciple one another and teach the younger women to love our husbands and submit to them. We all have to submit to someone, all of us! I am to submit, not out of obligation or guilt, but out of my love for God. If our husband's are living according to what God has called them, they should be loving us back in an understanding way - but not all many do that, unfortunately. I am looking forward to more of your Christian view on femininity! Thank you!!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

 
At October 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've explained this better than anyone I've ever heard before! Thank you!

 
At October 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderfully Said! Thank-you for sharing!

 
At October 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Tereza said...

Loved the illustations and look forwsard to the next post.

 
At October 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Thank you for reminding me to be feminine by being soft and delicate. Sometimes I forgot that I need to be that way, especially in dealing with the kids and my hubby.
Tiffany
http://thecraftyhome.net

 
At October 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I am interested in following you!

 
At October 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Dawn Chandler said...

So glad you are doing this series!!

 
At October 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Shayla Moffett said...

I stumbled upon your blog today via pinterest and have been so blessed by your writings on femininity. It is something that I have always craved, yet avoided so as to not appear weak or useless. You portray a very balanced view on the subject and I greatly appreciate it. It is my hope that being feminine will become more prevalent in our culture.

 
At November 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had to leave an infant for a weekend, my very first choice would be to leave the baby with its other parent, my husband!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home