Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall Into Reading 2011 Booklist


I came across the Fall Into Reading program a few days ago, and was delighted to learn that it hadn't started yet. I really want to be reading more books, so I started trying to compile a book list. This is hard for me to do, as I love to go to the library and just start browsing for good books (mainly non fiction). I know there will be some pregnancy books thrown in the mix, and other books I find along the way, but here is a compiled list of books I would like to read this fall.




Chasing Daylight  by Eugene O'Kelly (I imagine this book will be read with tears remembering all the things we did with my mom leading up to her death). 







Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller




Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother  by Amy Chua (I've heard so much about this book I'm curious to read it, not to gain a model of parenting from her, like I said I'm just curious). 



A Mom Just Like You by Vickie Farris and Jayme Farris Metzgar



Simplify Your Space (I need this one!)


Books to read out loud to the Children



In November  by Cynthia Rylant


Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret B. Pumphrey (Christian Liberty Press, this is a family tradition now that my husband starts reading this book aloud in October leading up to Thanksgiving. Our boys just love it!). 





Money In The Chimney by Eleanora H. Stooke (Lamplighter collection book that we just started as a family read a loud). 



Helen's Temper And It's Consequences by Mrs. George Gladstone (Another Lamplighter Book, they are so good! We've read this one before but I feel it's time to pull it out and read it again to my children).


Do you have any books you are working on? I'd love to hear what is on your booklist! 

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At September 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

I heard a lot about Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom, too. Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Good luck with your list. My list has 25 books on it - a combo of review books and books that will help me to complete the other reading challenges I signed up for.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Amy said...

What a great idea! I read a lot anyway, so I may have to go through my TBR and make a more purposeful list tonight. I'm already planning to read What Did You Expect? this fall, but I'm not sure in what order I want to take the other books.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks like a great list, Caroline! I read What Did You Expect last year and thought it was good -- gave me a new perspective. Love your read-aloud picks too. I'm going to have to check out a couple of them. Thanks for being part of the challenge!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

@ Katrina,

I came up with a lot of these books just browsing through your blog! I loved reading your reviews. :)

 
At September 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome list. This is a fun challenge. Glad you joined!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Susanne said...

I've heard of the Tiger Mom book too. Sounds like an interesting look into another culture and their beliefs on parenting. Happy Reading. My list is up on my site.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Nise' said...

I've been simplifying my space and did not know there was a book about it, wonder if there was an easier way to do it! It was a lot of work!! Happy reading.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Now you went and messed my whole list up! *wink* I added two of your books to my wish list at paperbackswap.com. "Chasing Daylight" was immediately available! Woo hoo!

Good luck!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM , Blogger kewkew said...

Sounds like some great books. I really liked the sound of A Mom Just Like You. Unfortunately our library doesn't carry it.

 
At September 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Sandra Stiles said...

Great list! I love everything Cynthia Rylant! Good luck with your list.

 
At September 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Blogger A Faithful Journey said...

I am going to have to check out that Stories of the Pilgrims book to read with my kids!

Great list!

Happy Fall and Happy Reading! :)

 
At September 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Sonya said...

I read a mom just like you, its pretty good. Have you ever read the book "A Song for Your Honor" One of my favorite books! I think you would enjoy it.

 
At September 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Love your list! Lots of interesting books.

 
At September 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM , Anonymous Jimi @ Books Etc. said...

Glad you found the challenge! Hope you enjoy your reading. I read and enjoyed Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother this last year...very interesting book.

Happy Reading!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Shonya said...

Wow, you have listed some books I am unfamiliar with, but which sound very intriguing. That's the bad thing about these lists--they always make me want to add to my own! ;) But I have to say I've heard of Tiger Mom too and have no desire to read that one! ;) Happy reading!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home