Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Second Trimester Pregnancy Update And Some Tips!



I've had a lot of ladies ask how I'm doing in this pregnancy, so I thought it was time for an update!

Currently I'm in my second trimester, and finally have started seeing a glimpse of the second trimester energy that normally comes. A very small glimpse, but I'm thankful for anything!

The sickness and vomiting is gone, though I've started experiencing some nausea again at times. I lost 10 pounds from being so sick in the first trimester, and so far I've gained 13 pounds, so I'm only 3 pounds over my starting weight. Not the best, but at least I gained back what I lost and I am gaining some over now.

The good news is the baby is very active, and I get lots of kicks, punches, and movement to let me know that it is in there! My round ligament pains have started, so rolling over in bed with ligament pains while being kicked inside by the baby is always a fun experience. :) I wouldn't trade it for anything though, I'm so excited to hold this little one!


                     

What causes me the most pain is my varicose veins. My right leg is what is covered with veins, and my ankle especially has been pretty swollen this time. Driving and sewing can get painful as the blood seems to pull up in my ankle when I'm sitting.

I've found two things to help. One is a tip that a lady from church told my mother in law, who then told me! When my ankle is really swollen, I lay in my bed on my back and put my leg straight up in the air for a  few minutes. It's absolutely amazing how much that seems to help. You can almost feel the swelling going down, and it's much better after doing that for a few minutes. It's just a temporary fix but I'm grateful for it!

The other thing I've started doing to help my varicose veins is to exercise! Yes I know, it's the dreaded word we don't like to hear. :) When I'm not pregnancy I like doing T- Tapp videos, but since I've been dizzy this pregnancy I wasn't up for the bending over movements in the workout. So I've gone back to doing Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away The Pounds" workout. My favorite is the "Walk Away The Pound Express - 1 mile easy walk 2 miles brisk walk."  It is easy to do, and goes by really fast. When I do the workout in the morning, my swelling does not come until later in the day.

I'm still anemic so I'm faithfully taking iron still, trying to get it raised to a home birth level. Yes, we plan to do another home birth with a midwife I just love. :) She has been at three of my four children's birth, and she feels more like a friend than a midwife to me. My goal is to have a water birth again. My first three children were water births, but due to set up issues our last was not born in the water. I found out I much prefer water of dry land births. :)

I'm due January 9th, and the way the days keep flying by it will be here before we know!



Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At September 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Paula L. said...

Thanks for this great article. an issue i contend with as well. I take bilberry and butchers broom which really really helped my varicosities. I got this information from the wonderful book
* The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy from Shonda Parker.* My pregnancies have been so much better with her advice. and you are so right about excercise.. :)

 
At September 14, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous Paula L. said...

Oh, i meant to mention Herbal Iron for my anemia, for whatever that is worth to you all! ;)

 
At September 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Lissa said...

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy! God bless y'all!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have had some trouble with varicose veins during my last 3 pregnancies. This last one I found a product that helped me soooo much. I purchased it from a friend here locally who has an online store. I hope it is okay to advertise for her by posting a link to this great product. It also helped me post-partum with bladder prolapse. http://www.myinfantneeds.com/V2-Supporter_p_15.html

 
At September 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Far Above Rubies said...

Caroline, you always share such informative articles. Thank you so much.

Blessings,

Jasmine

 
At September 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed by how bravely you endured the morning sickness. I don't know how I could, as I have a fear of vomiting, and a few years ago I even lost 11 lb. due to it. As I said, I greatly admire your strength and trust in God. May the Lord bless your pregnancy, and give you great joy as you carry this little one!

In Christ,

Butterflygirl

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home