Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Picking Day!

We were blessed to hear of an orchard near us where we could go to pick apples- for free! My sister met me there to pick. As soon as I got there, I told her I felt for the first time in my life that I had arrived at Prince Edward Islands! There were probably five acres of apple trees, and it was so peaceful and beautiful. I can only imagine what it looks like in the spring when all the trees are blossoming! 


Walking in the orchard with Aunt Jennifer.


Picking apples with her puppy dog! 


All four children want to climb on ladders and pick! 


George Washington found an apple! Oh wait, that's Israel. :) He LOVES to dress up as George Washington! 


I'm carefully up on a ladder picking apples. The shadows of light in the orchard made it hard to get good pictures. 

I got some apples! The best ones are up high. :)


Mama with her youngest baby, for just a few more months until the next baby comes! 


Olivia watching her brothers and sister run, romp, and pick! 


"If I can just climb a little bit higher I can get that apple!"


Israel showing his apples he picked, with a goofy look on his face! 

I was planning on having pictures of us making applesauce, but my camera ran out of batteries after this. We went to my mother in law's house and spent the afternoon peeling apples. Her dad owns an antique apple peeler that works so much better than any peeler you can buy today! So we hook it up and crank away. This year my children were all eager to crank the handle and they were a big help! 

We only made a dent in the apples, so we have a few more days to go. My mother in law is most gracious and always finishes up the canning of the applesauce while I drag myself home, exhausted at the end of the day. I'm grateful for her experience in canning, as she grew up alongside her mother canning. It will be so wonderful to have yummy homemade applesauce this winter! 



Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Laurel H. said...

O my goodness; may I ask where this orchard is?

 
At September 21, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Mrs. Stam said...

We live a bridge away from Prince Edward Island :-) and apple picking is my all time favourite... looks like you all had fun

If ever you visit PEI, I would love to have you all over :-)

Love
Renee

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

It's a couple that belongs to our church. They open it up just for church members to come, to be a blessing to the families. It was a huge blessing to us! It's the first year I knew about it.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

@ Renee,

I want to visit Prince Edward Island SOOOO bad!! How wonderful that you live so close. The pictures look so beautiful. :)

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Miss Sarah said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! I've never picked apples before, but I'd love to (as long as I didn't have to climb very high on any ladder :))!

With the cooler weather we're starting to have, I'm ready to do apples again!!!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

What a fun and memorable way to spend a day together! I love activities like that, the cost is free, everyone can participate, and you even have "souvenirs" in the form of applesauce! : )

 
At September 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous deborah said...

I've always wanted to visit PE Island, also! Looks like you all had fun. I love how exciting something like picking apples is to kids. And it is so nice to have homemade applesauce!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are gorgeous! Especially that first one. It looks like a heaven on earth. So glad you were able to enjoy a beautiful day enjoying God's marvelous creation!

Blessings,

Butterflygirl

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home