Saturday, October 15, 2011

31 Days of Femininity: Cleaning your face naturally....



I recently started washing my face with olive oil. 

Yes, you read that right. 

I could barely bring myself to try it. After reading about it online I had to think it over for a few days before I could bring myself to try it. After all, rubbing oil on your face doesn't sound exactly cleansing. And I was scared about the results it could bring-huge results that could take days to go away! 

But I finally tried it, and I have to tell you I was so surprised how wonderful it felt. 

My face felt clean, soft, and very moisturized. And all it took was a little bit of olive oil! 

What the oil is basically doing, is cleansing your face of the dirty oil, and replacing it with cleansing oil that is good for your skin. This works for all skin types, whether you have dry or oily skin. 

The most common mixture of oils are olive oil and castor oil. I just haven't been anywhere to pick up the castor oil, but I do intend to try mixing that in my olive oil. 

So how exactly do you cleanse your face with oil? It's an easy three step process.

1. First dip your fingers into a little bowl of oil (I suggest extra virgin olive oil) and rub it all over your face.

2. Then you take a washcloth and run it under hot water. Not so hot that you will burn your face, but as hot as you comfortably can take it being on your face. Lay the washcloth on your face and let it stay there for a minute. 

3. Use the same washcloth and rub your face all over, wiping off the oil. You are done! 

It's incredibly easy, and takes just a few minutes at night. Some people do it every night, others do it just a few nights a week. 

To read more about this whole process Simple Mom has an excellent tutorial and information written up here. 

Our Sponsors

CPT Worldwide-Pregnancy and Ovulation Tests
Shaklee-Natural Products for Home and Health
Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique-Cloth Diapers, and much more






Labels:

13 Comments:

At October 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Taly said...

That's the only way I can clean my face. I have such sensitive skin that I can't put ANY face product on it nor can I clean it with anything else. Olive oil and castor oil is the only thing that doesn't leave my face red and itchy.

 
At October 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Jessica Kramasz said...

Interesting - I'll have to think about it. I use Olive oil soap as it is, but being very acne prone, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to put oil straigh ton my face :-)

 
At October 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using castor oil and sweet almond oil with a little bit of rose essential oil to make it smell pretty. :) I love it!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Canadagirl said...

I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing this. I am trying to go chemical free as much as possible and this is a wonderful way.

Blessings In Him<><
-Mary

 
At October 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM , Blogger crazy4boys said...

How much castor oil would you use? And do you mix it with the olive oil or just put in directly on your face? So interesting....

 
At October 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Heather H said...

A few weeks ago, I started washing my face with castor oil and olive oil. No breakouts or any other problems since then, and my skin feels so soft! I highly recommend trying it.

I also bought witch hazel to use as an astringent, but haven't tried that yet.

 
At October 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Crazy4boys-if you go to the link I left gave for Simple mom she writes a lot more about it and how much to use. I hope that helps!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Rachel Lundy said...

Thanks for sharing about this. I have been hearing good things about the olive oil method on the internet, and I plan on giving it a try. I haven't used face cleaner in quite some time. I had a stockpile for a while from free or nearly free face cleaners from CVS. When my stockpile ran out I started using my daughters baby shampoo for face cleaner and discovered that it worked just as well as the Olay face cleaner. I won't go back to face cleaner again unless it is free. And once I try the olive oil method I might not go back to the baby shampoo!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I've been using a mix of castor oil and olive oil to clean my face for about a year. It is so great that I don't think I could ever go back to soap. And it actually works. Way better than soap ever did...at least for me.

 
At October 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM , Anonymous Cynthia Lewis said...

Wow, I've been a student of handcrafted, natural cosmetics, skin care, soap for years and not heard this one. All I can say is, if it works for you, go for it. I have really oily skin, prone to break outs (at 41! Not Fair...I have more acne now then as a teenager.) so I think I will stick with Olive Oil soap for my face.

 
At October 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Far Above Rubies said...

I must try it, Caroline. Again, thanks for the tip. Loving your take on the series.

 
At October 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Lisa Grace said...

I've been using the oil method for over a year now and LOVE it!!! I'll never go back :)

BUT...I use virgin coconut oil. Aside from being transported for a few minutes at a time to a tropical beach, I like that it has other benefits for my skin that olive and castor oils don't have (for one thing, it reduces lines, puffiness, and redness!). You massage it in for a minute or two (you'll feel when you've done enough!), then steam off with a warm wash cloth.

Another tip: eucalyptus essential oil helps purify skin from black heads and acne ... add a few drops to your carrier oil of choice (olive, coconut, etc.) a few times a week for some extra "oomph" if you need it (great tip for teens especially, although I still do it and it's been a while since I could be called one, lol).

 
At October 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

I just started the oil cleansing method (mix of castor oil and jojoba oil as I have oily skin) since last week and it seems unreal, but in this short amount of time, my skin has already cleared up so much. Many of the larger pores have shrunk considerably and the tiny congested bumps are slowly disappearing. I am most happy because my skin feels healthier and more low maintenance than it has been since I was a child.

I sound like I'm writing an advertisement. But seriously, I encourage even those with oily skin to give this a shot.

xoxo Caroline

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home