Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Femininity: Keeping your feet covered in the winter time!


While I'm looking forward to wearing my long sleeve shirts and sweaters, I have to say I will be most sad to give up my sandals when cold weather hits!

Living in Missouri makes winters unpredictable. We always get snow, but some winters have been mild, others have been freezing cold for several months with loads of snow! What shoes I wear really depends on if there is snow on the ground or not.

I took a picture of my shoes that I wear during the winter. I will say I do not spend very much money on my shows at all. Several of these pairs of shoes were from my mom that I kept when she passed away last year. One pair of boots I picked up at a garage sale for $1.00! I really try to keep a look out at garage sales for shoes, as I don't like spending $50-60 on a pair of shoes. Thrift stores are also a great place to look, though I haven't found many in my size there.


Mary Jane Shoes

When there is not snow on the ground I wear my Mary Jane shoes with thicker socks. Even if there is snow I still normally wear these to church on Sunday's, and try to avoid any snow that has not been shoveled. :) The brown shoes are brand new, I just got on Zulily to replace some worn out brown Mary Jane shoes I had. 

Boots

If it is really cold I will wear my warm snow boots even in the house during the day with a pair of thick socks. They keep me really warm, I just don't like how bulky they are. The thinner pair of taller boots are what I picked up at a garage sale, and they look really cute with a lot of outfits, plus I have enough room in them to wear a warm pair of socks. My sister has a pair of boots that come up high on her that she wears a lot in the winter time. She told me they keep her really warm, and she has trouble with circulation in her feet and staying warm. 

I don't wear the low cut pair of boots very often, as they are not very comfortable for me. I think they look just fine with skirts though. 

Crocs

A lot of ladies seem to recommend wearing crocs in the winter that are fur lined. I have never worn these, but my midwife wears them all winter long as she says they are the only thing that keeps her feet warm. So if you are really searching for a solution, maybe try these with a pair of nice warm socks. 

*Zulily just came out with a new sale on a wide variety of shoes and boots that are up to 60% off! You might want to take a look here under A2 by Aerosoles. They also have leggings and warm socks on sale up to 55% off-look under Nicole Miller Legwear.* 

The best tips come from you-please share what you do in the winter time to stay warm and look feminine still! 






Labels:

10 Comments:

At October 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Erika said...

I'm knitting up some wool knee socks. I found last winter that hand knit wool socks are WONDERFUL in the winter. Even when snow got in my clogs, my feet were ok.

 
At October 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Anonymous Tyra said...

I second the fur-lined idea if you want something warm. I have 2 pairs of boots that have fur in them and they definitely keep your feet toasty! I also have a pair of crocs but since they're a little bulky looking to me I think the boots are actually cuter with skirts. I actually have a harder time with the not too dressy, not too casual kind of shoes....I'll have to try and find some mary janes since those look like a good choice!

 
At October 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a pair of very tall dress boots last year. They came almost up to my knees. I could not believe the difference on how much warmer I am! I only wear them with very long skirts and the combo of a long skirt, slip and then those tall boots was a real plus for keeping me warm. And yes, I got them off of ebay and did not pay much for them. :)
Elizabeth

 
At October 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had to go to Oklahoma last year for my Grandfather's funeral and it was C.O.L.D.! We are not use to such cold weather, and I thought I was going to die! Before we left, however, we stocked up on camis, and tights. I would wear the tights, with a pair of flannel bloomers that I had sewn myself, and my skirt. I think I even may have worn another skirt, or a slip underneath my top skirt, I can' remember.
For the top, I would wear a cami and the day's shirt, but no one ever saw that, because I would always have a sweater and scarf over that.
And I'm sorry to say that I can't remember what kind of shoes I wore! But I do remember that I put on socks over the tights and then put my shoes on. :)
~Heather Joy

 
At October 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous Jennifer said...

I love wearing Mary Jane style shoes with some knee highs or cotton knee highs when the weather isn't too cold. My pair of almost knee high black boots goes great with any skirt I would wear and I was really surprised how warm that keeps me. For very cold/snowy days I wear wool socks and my snow boots. On cold days around the house I wear wool socks and a ballerina style house slipper you can get at Wal-Mart or Target etc. I seem to do fine with these shoe combinations for the winter.

 
At October 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't realize you live in Missouri, so do I! I have some tall brown boots with a thin fur lining and those with some knee socks keep me toasty warm. I also have a pair of thin leggins that I wear under skirts, with my knee socks, you can't tell I have on leggins at all. I definitely recommend them for really cold weather. I also always wear undershirts, short or long sleeved. They have to be long so they stay tucked in but they help keep me warm and modest!
Blessings,
Rashel

 
At October 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to live in Minnesota and wore skirts all winter long even when it got down to -40! I sewed myself a couple of long a-line wool skirts with no vent/slit. I used coat-weight wool, so they were nice and heavy, but not too bulky. For footwear, I found a nice pair of Bianco boots similar to this: http://www.bianco.com/collections/product_description.html?articleno=31-46184-10&sid=2df45064df874f26676c0ed27f6c0632

They worked on icy walkways as well as indoors and they were not too bulky. They come up to my knees are are nice and toasty.

I found a pair of Ugg clogs brand new at a garage sale and am in love. The sheepskin is just so lovely! If I were still living in the frozen hinterlands, I would consider getting a pair of the tall ones to go with my skirts.

-Heather

 
At October 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe! I'm not the only Heather on here I see!
I just wanted to thank you Mrs. Allen for sharing the Zulily link for the shoes and boots! I and my sisters went and bought some very pretty (and cheep!) boots and now we can't wait for them to come!! Thanks!
~Heather Joy

 
At October 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Where do you live in Missouri? We just moved to the Kansas City, MO area in March. :-)We lived in Canberra,Australia for 7 years,where the "cold" weather is like a normal Fall day here. Ha

 
At November 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pair of tall boots i love them w/my skirts that go just below my knees. (long skirts make me look short as I'm only 5"3) I personally do not like Mary Jane shoes, okay on my girls (who are still young) not me tho. I do have a pair of UGG boots I wear w/jeans which keep my feet nice and toasty! And a pr of UGG slides. I do have a few pairs of high heels and a few pairs of flats. Wearing my tall boots keeps my legs warm and a LONG wool coat helps a ton as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home