Monday, October 3, 2011

31 Days Of Femininity: Being feminine versus feminist


The feminist movement has been extremely successful in convincing women that they can have it all. Here is a current scenario that is not unusual for today's successful business woman:

*Graduate high school

*Go to a four year college to get a degree.

*Find a successful job that has potential to help them climb the corporate ladder. 

*In their late twenties after having a career underway, they end up getting married. 

*For several years they might travel, work hard, buy a great house and have two nice vehicles. 

*Now they are financially secure enough to think about having children. They are in their mid thirties, and start trying, only to discover that getting pregnant later in life can be difficult. 

*They have two children.

That is the "ideal" life for todays young women. Interesting enough though I have been reading more and more news articles on how women are giving it all up, quitting their successful jobs once they have their baby, because they realize it just doesn't matter as much as raising their child.  

The Lord has clearly laid out for us what the life of a godly woman should look like. 

In Titus 2:3-5 it says:

"The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

That is quite a different lifestyle than the feminist movement strives for! As feminine women, we can be confident in our role of being a keeper at home, and not let the world make us feel guilty for not having a self seeking career outside the home. I know many moms who have businesses from home, help their husbands with their own self employed business, run an Etsy store, or having their own website. It's not that having a job is problem but your spirit in having the job. Is it a part of caring for your family and home, or a career that gives you a completely separate self-worth and motivation in life during your family raising years? 

 Obviously, I own a business and run it from home. I run it amidst homeschooling, being pregnant with our fifth baby, and my husband currently working full time and going to college full time. I do it because I want to help our family. We have dreams and goals to reach as family and this is one way I can help out. But I don't own my business to fulfill a desire to have a job. Honestly I feel like having four (almost five) children, and homeschooling is a full time job in itself! So whatever your days look like, don't let the world make you feel less of yourself because you are not out pursuing that professional career. If you have no choice but to be working outside the home be assured that God sees the desires of your heart to care for your family. 

Many times being feminine means we are not as popular. Our name may not be written in all the history books, though our children might make us famous in lives by singing our praises when they are grown. 

"All that I am, or ever hope to be I owe to my angel mother" Abraham Lincoln. 

The value of a feminine woman who loves her God given value, who loves  her husband, children and her home, cannot have a price tag put on her. She is priceless, and rare to find. 

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At October 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Alene said...

Love this post. There is definitely a difference and I want to be the feminine one who is priceless and her children arise and call her blessed.

 
At October 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Stephanie T said...

Great Post - you are so right!

 
At October 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Mrs. Stam said...

Amen, this is a great post!!!! I have been raise to be a feminist, but a few year before I got married, the Lord save me and change my heart! I am happily a wife and mother at home :-)

 
At October 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Interesting post. Perhaps one silver lining to all that has gone on since the second wave of feminism is that more and more women are turning away from that "have it all" fantasy. They've seen their mothers' generations try it and I think they're realizing it can't be done.

 
At October 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Monique G. said...

Beautiful post. I was raised to believe all the things you listed. All that changed once they placed my son in my arms almost eight years ago. I am now a stay at home, homeschooling mom to 2 beautiful kids. I would have loved to been blessed with more babies but so far God has other plans. My daughter is 6 and I am trying to raise her to value herself as a beautiful, feminine lady that places God, her husband and family above all other things.

 
At October 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post. I've often felt second rate and inferior, even at my old church for wanting to be more concerned about keeping a home (this includes healthy meals, a clean and organized home decorated well on a budget an so on)rather than gaining a degree and good career and working.

People often look down their noses at me in shock that I want to be at home to raise my own children(one day)and be there for my husband. Most young girls and women my age aren't as interested in this stuff.

I love it. My husband loves it and wants it and we are happy. It's harder but going against the norm of the world and doing what you feel called to God to do always is harder but the best.

I also run a business from home selling and creating my art. I am creative and happier now than when i was working all the time. I love making sure my husband has all he needs to.

Thanks for sharing this. It made me feel like the gold I am in God's eyes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home