Friday, October 21, 2011

31 Days of Femininity: Taking Care of Your Hair!



A women's hair is an important part of her. I'm sure many of us can identify with Jo from Little Women, "Oh Jo, you cut your hair! It's your one true beauty!" : )

At any rate, we all want to take care of our hair and make it look nice. Whether you have your hair styled, you wear it down each day, or pulled up in a handy flexi clip, you want it to look healthy. 

With winter coming on, I wanted to pass along a tip that helps to keep my hair looking healthier during the winter. I have thick hair, and it seems every winter I struggle with my scalp getting a bit dry. Little flakes will show up on my hairif I'm not careful. And no, I'm not going to call it dandruff because that always grosses me out. I have problems with dry skin, not dandruff, Ok? (Alright, you can call it whatever you want, for me I'll live in denial! I don't want to face the thought that it could be dandruff. Yuck.) : )

Anyway....here is what I do to battle dry flakes in my hair! Before I take a shower, I spend a few minutes vigorously massaging my scalp. Whether you have a problem with dry skin or not, this is very good to do for your hair. It promotes healthy new hair growth, and who doesn't want that? I went to an upscale salon once (gift card!) and the stylist put oil in my hair, and massaged my head for several minutes before washing my hair. I've even heard you can put olive oil in your hair, wrap it up in a towel for thirty minutes, and then wash your hair, and that can help a dry scalp. 

After you have loosened all the dry flakes, take a shower and wash them all out! Be careful not to use lots of shampoo, as that can contribute to a flaking scalp. Also, they say hot showers are not good for your scalp. I have to confess this is something I can't seem to give up-this mama loves to take a nice long hot shower for a short break! 

And finally, here is a tutorial on how to blow dry your hair that I found very helpful. Just make sure you have a good round brush before you try this. I learned the hard way that my brush was junk, and had hair tangled up really good in it. For a moment I had a fleeting thought of needing scissors to cut the front of my hair off, but I managed to finally get the hair out of the brush. I just bought a new one at Walmart yesterday, as the other brush went in the trash. :)


For instructions go here

Our Sponsors

CPT Worldwide-Pregnancy and Ovulation Tests
Shaklee-Natural Products for Home and Health
Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique-Cloth Diapers, and much more
A Great Impression-Inspirational Wall Decals
Pumpkin Seed Press-Godly Resources for Children and Family! 



Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At October 21, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Anonymous Jacki M. said...

I hear ya on the thick hair! Me too. I have a thick curly crazy head of hair. I will have to try out the olive oil tip this weekend. No blow drying for me through, takes too long and my arms start to get tired, ha ha ha!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Sveta said...

I have thick hair, and "dry skin" ;) too. I was getting really tired of it, and asked my Aunt (Who is a beautician) about it, she said the most natural thing you can do is put tea tree oil on it. So when I wash my hair, I put a couple drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo. Then scrub it into my scalp. It works! And when you mix it into the shampoo, your hair doesn't smell like tea tree oil. :)

 
At October 21, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger M Mommy to 4 said...

I've been following along with your 31 days posts and just had to comment on this one, because I have the SAME problem! I actually went in and talked to my doctor (about something else, but she was looking at my hair) and she mentioned that I have "dermatitis" on my scalp! I felt so happy that it had a name, and "dandruff" wasn't it! I've been using a moisture shampoo and conditioner to help with it and it's been working great. I hope your tricks work for you too! Also, what kind of brush did you end up with? I tried round-brushing my hair like that the other day and almost resorted to cursing by the time I was done as well! I'd love advice on what brush WILL work! Thanks!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Angela said...

I would really like to hear your thoughts on cutting hair and head coverings (1 Cor:11) Not as a debate but simply on how you and your husband view these passages. I know of some who say it was a "custom of the time." That leaves us wondering how many other things in the bible were just custom. And of course since my husband and I are unsure we stay on the conservative side....I have not cut my hair in a very long time. Just would love to know your thoughst from one Christian to another.

Thanks.

 
At October 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done the olive oil thing on my hair, and it works quite nicely! I just poor the oil on my wet hair and put it all up on my head with a clip while I take the rest of my shower. It takes at least 3 shampoos to get it all out though...
~Heather Joy

 
At October 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of hair care - I highly recommend the Curly Girl method. It's cheap (Suave naturals conditioner is all I use) and it works for my thick wavy hair. It's described in the Young Ladies Christian Fellowship page:
http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlycare/
I've followed a modified version of this for over a year and won't go back.

 
At October 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Gabe said...

I love that tip on massaging your scalp before the shower, I'm going to give that a try. I battle with dry skin depending on where we are living (military, we move A LOT) and the season.

I started using hair butter from "MadeOn" at hardlotion.com in the last few months and my hair is much happier now. I use it in my girls' hair too before brushing it when wet. The brush goes through much easier which means less pain/fussing for them! We all love the orange smell too!

 
At October 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I've used Suave Hot Oil treatments on my hair and LOVE it. Thinking about it now though, I wonder if olive oil does the same thing (and is way cheaper!). I'll have to try it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home