Friday, January 13, 2012

Homeschooling Resolutions When Your World Feels Unresolved



A guest post by Amy Roberts of Raising Arrows

Usually following the Christmas season with its lax homeschooling schedule and its busy social calendar, I am ready to jump back in to homeschooling full swing.  But, this year, that won't be happening.
As soon as the Christmas decorations are put away, my life will speed up and homeschooling will take on a different approach as we pack up the contents of our home and move to the country.  This is the second year in a row we have moved shortly after Christmas.  It makes New Year's Day, with its resolutions and fresh starts, a bit frustrating since I feel like the only resolution I can make is to survive.
However, if I look back over my life, my New Year's Resolutions have never looked like your typical resolutions.  In 2001 and 2009, I had just had a
baby.  In 2008, we were living in a hospital with a very sick little girl. In 1997, 2005, 2011, and now 2012, we were moving.  And so my resolutions look more like short term goals than earth shattering motivational speeches.
It isn't uncommon for us to find ourselves as human beings living in the midst of something unresolved.  We may be dealing with any number of life events that make us feel as if we are living in limbo between where we were and where we are going. But, as Christians, it is wonderful to know Who holds the future and that we need not make grandiose plans because the Lord guides our footsteps and He will not let us fall.
Making short term mini-resolutions are quite in line with Psalm 119:105 where it says, "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  God lights our path little by little.
So, this year as I pack and unpack and settle into a new home with new routines, I resolve to create a lifestyle of learning.  I resolve to stop worrying if I purchased the "right" curriculum.  I resolve to enjoy my children and their days of learning rather than race through every subject like I'm checking off boxes on my to-do list.  I resolve to follow where the Lord leads...
little by little.




Amy Roberts is the homeschooling mother of 6 living children and one precious little girl named Emily being held in the Lord’s arms. Her days are filled with giggly girls, rambunctious boys, and sticky baby kisses. At night she writes about it all at Raising Arrows, a blog dedicated to homeschooling, large family living, and hope for grieving hearts. It is her deepest desire that out of the overflow of her heart, her mouth should speak…and her fingers type.





Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for your heart warming thoughts! I feel blessed this morning from reading your post and have a relaxed feeling about homeschool today! :D

To God be the Glory!
~Robyn Gates

 
At January 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM , Anonymous Brooke said...

Winter is a hard time to move! Up until I was 16 my parents moved an average of every year and a half- mostly renting. My Dad would get a better job or the house we were living in would sell. As a kid I thought it was kind of exciting! I know, though, that it was hard on my Mom. She had chronic health problems and I am sure the stress made them worse. I loved the packing, unpacking (like Christmas again!), setting things up again, and exploring a whole new home. Now as a Mom myself, I hope I never have to move again! I hope and pray your move goes well. :)

 
At January 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM , Anonymous Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

Thank you! There is a fun element to it and we love the house we are moving to, but it is difficult work. :)

 
At January 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

That's wonderful to hear!

 
At January 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I loved your post today. I can relate only slightly to the moving issue as a mom, but as a child, my family moved quite often due to my dad being in the army. As a mother now, I can understand a little better how it must have been for my mother to be constantly in a state of unpacked boxes and yet still trying to bring structure and peace to our family. She did a wonderful job amid all the chaos. I wish you all the best in your endeavour also.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Linda said...

I have a lot of respect for you moving and doing home schooling for all of your children. You are certainly an icon for other women as I feel home schooling can be quite tiring, but at least get to share so much time with them that other mothers don't get to do.
You won't have to worry about other kids being a bad influence on your kids and your kids wanting the latest fancy shoes or jeans or cell phones as my kids have been crying for. You can just get them simple little tracfones on a family value plan for $9.99 for 50 minutes for you and $5.99 for 40 minutes for every one else in the family. I envy you living in the country, it's going to be so rewarding and a better quality of life for the whole family.
Wishing you and your family all the very best and may God bless you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home