Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Resolutions As A Homemaker



It's a new year! We're motivated! We're encouraged! 

But how do we keep it going? 

Only with the Lord. We can do nothing apart from Him. 

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5 

That's the real answer. The more practical, day to day answer? 

Vision 

Defined roles 

Encouragement 

Vision in homemaking is essential. "Where there is no vision the people perish." Proverbs 29:18 

We have to see value in our roles as homemakers or we'll quickly burnout. 

When we look at a sink full of dirty dishes, we won't see an opportunity to be a blessing to our families by serving. We'll see drudgery and endless work. It can't be overstated, vision is essential. 

Having a clearly defined role as a homemaker will also help us to keep going throughout the year. According to dictionary.com a homemaker is "a person who manages the household of his or her own family, especially as a principal occupation." 

I like better the definition of housewife: "a married woman who manages her own household, especially as her principal occupation." 

Housewife originated between 1175 and 1225. Homemaker wasn't coined until the late 19th century. 

Why all the emphasis on defining these terms? Because clear definitions of our roles will give us that much needed vision I spoke of above. It is our duty before God to present ourselves a living sacrifice to Him. 

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:1-2 

Homemaking is an excellent and acceptable way to offer ourselves a living sacrifice to the Living God. 

Encouragement. Encouragement from others in our roles as homemakers can't be overestimated. 

Titus 2 tells us that the older women are to teach the younger women, that they are to be "...keepers at home." 

But you ask, "Where's my older Titus 2 woman?" Yes, I know, I know... (sigh) They are few and far between, to be sure. But the Lord doesn't just leave us to our own. And, when it seems like He has we must always remember that "all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 

There may be areas in homemaking that you're weak in. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Commit this new year to refocusing to work on those specific areas. Doing so will keep you motivated and encouraged! If you have daughters, teaching them new homemaking skills will also help to keep you going and your daughters will be learning as well. 

And, lastly, (last because this isn't the focus of my post) sometimes we can be ministered to and encouraged by others who are not in our local community. My heart is to encourage and my passion is homemaking. Late last year my family and I created a film, Homemaking 101





I want to offer this resource to you at a 25% discount. Just enter the code: TMM25 

You'll find instruction on basic homemaking skills, a few quick and easy recipes, homemaking tips and tons of encouragement! And!! Words of life from an older Titus 2 woman who shares wisdom throughout the film. 

I pray you will be blessed in your home throughout this new year! 

Weary not in well doing! 

Jennifer 

Jennifer is the cherished wife of a very visionary man, and a home schooling mother to almost a dozen children. Her deepest desire is to consistently love her husband and children, and to be a diligent and joyful keeper at home. Her favorite pastime is to encourage fellow housewives in their highest calling of wife and mother. When she’s not creating Homemaking DVDs, (www.familyvisionfilms.com) she can be found blogging at www.RenewingHousewives.com 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Anonymous Carla said...

I am an older woman and I am encouraged by the younger women I am finding in the blogging world who understand how important the blessing of homemaking is. I like to say the husband is the head of the home, and the woman is the heart of the home. Which is more important? The head or the heart cannot function without the other working well in their respective roll, they need each other to fulfill the rest of the duties to the other parts of the body. The attitude in the home is so dependent upon the 'heart' of the home, the wife and mother. If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy. What power! If those femenist ever realized where true power lies, they would enjoy being home. "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." We make a difference in a world of people. Our husbands and our kids desire to come home to a spirit filled, happy, comfortable, lovely, neat, ENJOYABLE home has a lot to do with us, how we make our homes makes a difference. People enjoy beauty naturally~who doesn't love a rainbow, sunset or sunrise, flowers? A woman bringing beauty into her home should be a natural thing. My generation bought the lie of going to the world to find fulfillment, thankfully God moved in my heart to be a stay at home, work at home wife and mother, and when I chose what he intended, He forged the path before me so that it worked out. I have a new blog, but know so little about it, I am just making my way a little at a time. I do so enjoy those of you who are reaching out to the world through yours. Have a great day and never, ever give up encouraging young women to find the real life, the life of a homemaker! Forge On.

 
At January 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Carla, what is your blog's name? I'd be interested in checking it out. Loved your encouraging comment. I love this site and the pictures are beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home