Friday, July 22, 2011

A Random Act Of Kindness


You never know who is watching you.

It could be the stranger who is amazed over the love you show your children as you are shopping pushing an overflowing cart of groceries. The baby is strapped to your back in the Ergo, the toddler swinging off the back of the cart, and you have a little line of ducklings following behind you. :)

Or it could be that you aren't having the best of days, and you find yourself snapping and growling at your children through the shopping experience.

And the stranger is still watching you.

I'm sure we can all relate to both experiences. I'm not condoning the bad shopping experience, but I can say I have done it.

Yesterday I was at Costco shopping for a few items. This has been a very stressful week (notice the silence on the blog? There is always a reason why!). Our gas was turned off Tuesday night, as I thought I smelled a gas leak. I called our gas company and they arrived here the same time my husband arrived home from a meeting. A leak was NOT discovered, but the man did a house inspection basically and found that we have copper piping going up to our appliances. That is now out of code and has to be replaced. Because he discovered the copper, he turned off our gas! I have not had a stove or hot water since Tuesday night.

Then my Mom's birthday was Thursday, she would have been 56. It was a hard day filled with tears and many thoughts of her.

Back to Costco. I was there getting paper plates since I really can't wash dishes right now. I had my four children with me. Everyone commented on how sweet they were, and it really was a good shopping trip. At the end we all got some water, and of course my three year old decided she wanted to dump her water. I told the people there was a water spill, and we headed out the door. At that point I was getting frazzled!

As we stopped to have our receipt checked at the last door, the lady who worked there handed me a beautiful bouquet of purple flowers and told me they were for me!! I was amazed! She said that a gentleman routinely buys a bouquet of flowers for mothers with children and leaves them for them to give to the mother. Gratitude filled my heart.

Normally when I go out I get a lot of raised eyebrows and amazed looks over the fact I have four children with a fifth on the way.

Here was someone who actually appreciated the fact that I was a mother to children! He also had no way of knowing that it was my mother's birthday and what a hard day I had been having.

So next time you go out shopping, beware! You just might have someone watching you to see what kind of mother you are!

Visit Our Sponsors and Affiliates!
Lilla Rose - Beautiful Hair Clips and Jewelry
Bulk Herb Store- Herbs, Salves, Books, And The Best Pregnancy Tea Ever!
Vision Forum - Godly Resources For Your Home and Lesson Time
Made On Lotion - Lotion Bars, Lip Balm, Diaper Rash Cream & More

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At July 22, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline, that's so neat! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. :) I always try to be extra careful when out in public because I know people are watching us, mainly because we are dressed differently from the rest of the world. People are watching, mainly to try and figure us out, but I want them to always see Christ in us.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM , Blogger cathypurdue said...

Wow, what a wonderful story! Made me cry a little...God is so good and knows exactly what we need when we need it :)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Meranda said...

Thank you for reminding me that I need to be Christ-filled mother whether I am at home or out shopping. Yes, we will all have our bad days, but we still need to show our children kindness. Sadly, I have been more of the snapping mother lately and need to be reminded, that they are just children. Yes, they need to obey, but they will act up eventually! :) Thank you!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Ann said...

Caroline, I am so sorry to hear about your gas! I suppose it is better now than in the winter?
Thank you for your reminder that we are being watched. I am not always good at handling my stress well and it is encouraging to hear that others struggle too.
Ann
www.astheyriseup.blogspot.com

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh, this just made me cry!! What a beautiful story and what a wonderful man to appreciate motherhood in such a way! And how nice for you especially. I'll bet God sent that man to Costco yesterday just knowing you needed a little boost.

Still praying for your gas situation!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Canadagirl said...

That is soooooooooo beautiful! I am so glad the Lord blessed you that day and confirmed you taking up the call the Lord has given you. You are a beautiful mother and so privileged to have the chance to have many quivers. Ohhh so blessed in deed. Yes, we need to be aware that others are watching so we have to shine our Lord as best as we possibly can, even when it is hard.

You are a blessing!
In Him<><
-Mary

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Hannah said...

That is a beautiful story! I love the way God reminds us He loves us in such moments!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger nikki said...

Aww, that brought tears to my eyes! So sweet. God was also watching over you and knew you needed some encouragement :o)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Rachel E. said...

How wonderful a gift like flowers can be to a hurting soul. There have been many times in the store when I feel as though I couldn't possibly take any more. I would be greatly encouraged by an act like this.

I hope you get your gas turned back on soon.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Martha said...

Love your post! I'm out of the baby stage (youngest is 7, oldest almost 16) but I vividly remeber those days when I had our 3 boys close together (3½ years)and shopping was a challenge. Still sometimes a challenge but in a different way :) His kindness brings tears to my eyes. So glad you were blessed-and on your dear Mothers birthday! Have a wonderful day!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Renee said...

What a sweet, sweet blessing, at the most blessed time! How lovely to experience God's love through a true gentleman. :) I will be praying for you today!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great post!! makes me think of how i myself act and how i treat other mothers too.

 
At July 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Blogger ClassiclyAmber said...

Oh my, that is so awesome! I'm so glad that he did that for you - it's like a kiss from God! =-) Have you considered now doing that for another mom the next time you are out like that and can do it? It's giving me ideas about blessing others + having a ministry mindset...

 
At July 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Brenda said...

I just discovered your blog...love what I have read so far! This story is amazing! My first thought was, where is that Costco? My second thought was how that man was the arms of Jesus for you that day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home