Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls Recipe


I will freely admit it. I am not that type of mom.

You know, the one who gets up at 4:00 am to make cinnamon rolls from scratch for her husband and children to eat as they come to the dining room table for breakfast. :)

When I make real cinnamon rolls, it's generally as a dessert for dinner. But I've been craving cinnamon rolls lately (among many other things!) so I pulled out this tried and true biscuit cinnamon roll recipe I've made since I was a teenager.

Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls

Sift together:

2 cups. w. w. flour (I use freshly ground pastry flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. creme of tarter

Add to the flour mixture:

1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP butter
2 tsp. honey or brown sugar (or raw sugar would work also)

With pastry blender (or fork!) blend until course meal.

Add all at once:

1 cup milk

Mix with a fork just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured counter top. Kneed 15 strokes. Pat or roll 3/8 inch thick (make sure you have plenty of flour down so it doesn't stick to the counter) into a rectangle. Spread butter, brown sugar, or honey, and sprinkle cinnamon powder. Roll and cut as for cinnamon rolls.




Bake, cut side down in a well greased 9 x 13 pan for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Enjoy!

My children say they like American cinnamon rolls better ( I guess that is what they call the regular type of cinnamon rolls, so cute!) but I still hear plenty of cheers from them when I pull these out of the oven. I like that they are made with whole wheat flour, so I don't feel as bad about fixing them. :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

They sound really good! I haven't made cinnamon rolls in a long time. I think I will try this one using my own whole wheat biscuit recipe as a base. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks for the inspiration, Caroline!!!

Dancing at the foot of the Cross,

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home