Friday, May 6, 2011

Rise Up And Call Her Blessed: A Mother's Day Tribute




"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her Children arise up and call her blessed...." Proverbs 31

As time goes on, I realize just what an incredible mother I had. Having children of my own has only had the effect of further amazing me as I think back and wonder, "How did my mother do it all?" I'm sure I am not alone in this process of growth of appreciation for our mothers.

My mother truly lived her life in service to others. She longed for children, and was blessed with my older sister, brother, and I. Due to her health she was not able to have more and I saw the sorrow that caused her.

I have never seen a mother more devoted to the raising of her children. She poured herself into bringing us up in light and truth. I was blessed to be home schooled all my life, and I have so many memories of time spent having devotions and singing hymns at the piano to start our day. She wanted so desperately for us to grow up truly knowing who God was, and having a personal relationship with Him.



I remember as a nine year old girl, coming in the house one beautiful spring day looking for my mom. I finally found her in our school room, sitting at her desk planning out school and logging hours for credit. I remember thinking to myself that it was sad she had to be inside on such a nice day! That stands out in my mind especially now that I am a homeschooling mom, and I realize just how devoted she was to homeschooling. She was always ready with a plan, and spent much of her free time reading books on homeschooling and searching for the best ways to teach us. It wasn't so much to achieve the highest academic scores, rather, she wanted us to love learning, to delight in it, and to strengthen our character through lesson times.

My mother's name was Deborah, which means Busy Bee. She truly did stay busy, that is, as far as her health would permit. She was diagnosed with Lupus in 1994 and so many of my memories from the age of 11 on include her being on the couch extremely sick, many, many doctor visits, and singing hymns to her during moments of discouragement. Through it all she longed to be up and working, and whenever her health permitted she would be up tidying the house, cooking, rearranging furniture, etc. She absolutely loved being a homemaker. She exemplified to me what a diligent, joyous homemaker should be.

Mother passed away last July, so this will be my first Mother's Day without her. I have to admit, while I knew that her illness was considered terminal (there currently is no cure for Lupus), I never thought it would actually take her life so soon. We had always planned that she would help me home school, teach my children piano, do nature studies with them, etc. She was always quick to help me do laundry, dishes, or whatever she perceived that needed to be done when she was over. Some days I feel dreadfully inept and alone without her here, but I "draw form my memories rich treasure store" and try to think how my Mother would handle a situation.

My mom, Sister and I at my Sister's wedding

Words cannot express how grateful I am to have a mother who sacrificed so much to raise me. I never doubted her love for me and was always quick to find a hug and kiss waiting for me. I could not have picked a better mom had I tried, and I thank God for her. "Favor is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised."

This is the end of a poem I gave my Mom for one of her Birthday's. I don't know who wrote it...


The things in my life that are worthy

Were born in my mother's breast

And breathed into mine by the magic

Of the love her life expressed.

The years that have brought me to womanhood,

Makes me realize how much more

My life was shaped by her own special touch.


God, make me the woman of her vision

And purge me from selfishness!

God, keep me true to her standards

And help me to live to bless!

God, make me a woman, brave, strong, and true,

One that my own dear Mother,

Would be proud to claim as her own.


If you are blessed to still have your mother, please take the time this coming Mother's Day to let her know how much you care about her. You never know if this is the last Mother's Day you have to spend with her. We had a feeling last Mother's Day that it would be our last with our mom, and it was such a bittersweet day...



Labels:

9 Comments:

At May 6, 2011 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

So beautiful, Caroline!!! What a blessing you had in your life with your mother. I will be praying for you this Mother's Day as you journey with your first one without her with you here on earth. I know that she sees what you are doing and is so thrilled that you are inspiring so many of us to be the women that God is calling us to be. Thank you for all you do...may you feel the blessing of God and your family this Mother's Day weekend!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

What a blessing a godly mother truly is! You made me smile and cry. I have been blessed with an unbelievable mother as well, and I am still amazed at her sacrifices for us all even as adults with families of our own. Your family will be in my prayers this Sunday as I can't imagine how hard this will be. Yet, I'm sure there's is nothing that would please your mom more than knowing you are endeavoring to raise your own children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and at the same time inspiring and encouraging others to submit to the Word of God in all areas. Thanks for being an inspiration :)

 
At May 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger crystalkupper said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm already dreading the day my own mother is gone. She can't be replaced, that's for sure.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger SRKindred said...

very well writen! -may God Bless you this Mothers Day.... just think Your momma will be having her first Mother's Day in Heaven...that has to be better than down here!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Grateful Grammy said...

Lovely, meaningful, precious post today. Thank you for sharing with all of us! Blessings to you on Mother's Day, especially this one.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thank you ladies for your sweet words. They mean a lot to me. :)

 
At May 7, 2011 at 5:48 AM , Blogger Finding Joy said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt story. All our mothers are precious and can never be replaced. Mine has poor health and housebound due to a stroke but she and I still can chat on the phone (I live some distances from her) and those times are so precious.

Your mother is in Gods care - How wonderful that must be to you and yours.

In Gods Grace

 
At May 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Your Mom sound like an amazing woman. Praying for you! I hope you have a very blessed Mother's Day!

 
At May 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM , Anonymous Celia said...

I lost my Mom when I was just 7 years old. I lost my Dad 2 years ago. It is very hard to be without them. I will be praying for you as you go through your first Mother's Day without her here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home