Friday, April 29, 2011

Romancing Your Husband



I'm reading a fantastic book right now called "Romancing Your Husband" by Debra White Smith. It has been quite convicting to me on some areas I need to work on in my marriage! The main lesson I'm being reminded is that our husband's should come before our children, friends, social life, etc. Obviously I think our husbands should understand if the baby is crying and we have to tend to it when he wants to talk to us. :) But I know from real life experience that it is easy to fall into a rut of not putting your husband first.

I found the following excerpt from the book challenging:

Time
"Yes, it takes time to romance the Lord and your husband. Regardless of your constraints, I encourage you to commit time and energy to your relationship with them. For instance, what this means for me is that I seldom watch television. The only time I watch it is if it offers a bonding opportunity with me and my children or husband. My children have a favorite afternoon show that we site down and enjoy together. My husband and I show often enjoy a movie if we're on a stay-at-home date. {Note from Caroline-my husband actually enjoys watching Jane Austen movies with me. swoon!} But I have no favorite shows and no television schedule. My time priorities are my marriage and my God. (I figure I can regularly watch television if I ever end up at a nursing home).
Another hard choice I've made is to limit e-mail to necessary interpersonal interaction or business-related issues. If you have surfed the net lately, you probably have realized that it, too, can take up your whole life. E-mail and the Internet can be so addictive. God has shown me that I have no business devoting family and/or spouse time to computer pursuits. Modern invention is great. I have a website myself. But avoid letting this modern convenience consume your life."

Ouch!

That really spoke to me. My business and blog can consume too much of my time. My husband is supportive of me blogging and having my business, (or should I say businesses? I'm a consultant for Lilla Rose as well!) but he is also constantly encouraging me to manage my time better, and be disciplined in staying off the computer when I need to be.

This next week, my goal is to spend more time with my family, and less on my own things. And I'm going to keep reading this great book to be challenged in other ways I can romance my husband.

Watch out Sean, I've got a great list going. :)

What is a goal you want to work on this coming week?

This post is linked up at:


Labels:

8 Comments:

At April 29, 2011 at 6:09 AM , Blogger Colleen said...

This book sounds like a very good read...I am always on the look out for Christian books that remind me of what I should be doing but most likely am letting slip.

Hmm, goal this week, I have so many and they never seem to change. I NEED to try to rely more on God. I have found myself being easily offended or getting upset about small things other people do or say to me and I don't want to be like this. I want to un-offendable (word?:) in the sense that people's opinions and hurtful remarks have no power over me because I am seeking and finding my worth in God.

Wonderful post! I just found you a couple days ago but so enjoy coming here. It's very uplifting.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Carrie C. said...

Thank you so much for this post, and for your blog! I recently found it and I am so very impressed. God bless you and I really look forward to your posts! You are a very good example as a wife and mother and I'm grateful for your insights.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger crystalkupper said...

A great reminder, thanks! I work from home too, and can definitely spend too much time checking my e-mail (and hoping there's an assignment for me!) when I shouldn't be.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM , Anonymous Heather Anderson said...

Good reminder! It's also good to remember that romance doesn't have to be expensive. Going for walks is great. Dates at home, as you mentioned work well. For my husband's birthday we had our kids watch by good friends for the night and spent the evening at home. I fixed him his favorite (Mexican) and we visited, relaxed, watched a movie, etc. He was so grateful that I organized it all and really felt loved.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Anonymous Meryl said...

Great post and sound advice, although I still have a bit of an issue with husband over young child.

It was nice meeting you and I look forward to more visits.

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Finding Joy said...

Now that my children are all grown up (one has left home) it can be hard to rekindle the romance when you become empty-nesters (almost). My DH and I went on a 3 day romantic get-away, staying at a cottage (just before Easter) and that is a great way to bring back the romance. It doesn't need to be anywhere expensive or full of activities.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Jaime @ Like a Bubbling Brook said...

Loved this post! I needed the reminder :)

 
At May 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

I hear you about needing to stay off the computer! When I do have to work, I try to move the computer in next to my husband so at least I am physically near him. Thanks for linking up, Caroline!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home