Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Need Thee Every Hour


I cannot even begin to recall the many times we sang this song to my Mom as she would lie in bed terribly weak and sick, suffering with her Lupus. Our hymnal is well worn at this spot. My Mom changed the words during her darkest hours to "I need thee every minute" and I can still hear her weak voice softly singing these words for strength.

There is a verse that is not commonly sung, which is the following:

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.


Refrain

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.


My prayer for all the mothers who are struggling, who feel tired, discouraged and battle worn, is that they will keep this song in their hearts. We truly do need the Lord every hour, every minute, and every second. Whether you suffer from a serious illness, or you have simply had a bad day with household cares, cling to the Lord who is mightier than us all! He alone is able to deliver, refresh, and carry us through.





Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Church Mouse said...

Thank you for sharing this story! It is so touching to me! I just looked this hymn up on Cyber Hymnal and there is some very interesting information there about the woman who wrote the words to the hymn, Annie Hawks. She was a wife and mother just like you and I and was busy with her household tasks when the words of this hymn came to her. It was so encouraging for me to read that. Just wanted to share that with you.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/n/ineedteh.htm

Thank you for being a blessing to me today!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Finding Joy said...

This has always been a favorite of mine, even when I was a little girl. Perhaps because my own mother also loves it and now in her elderly years suffering from the results of stroke and other ailments these words are a great comfort to her.

We do need the Lord every hour,every second of each day....it is far to hard without Him.

 
At May 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing the info about the hymn church mouse! That was so neat to read that she was a wife and mother at home when the words came to her!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I do love this song, It expresses in words, what we sometimes can't, because we feel so bad for whatever reason. You might think it's easy to express that, but sometimes it's not. I might print out that verse and hang it near my computer. Thank you :)

 
At May 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Dana West Young said...

Thank you for this post. Just what I need today!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Deanne said...

This hymn always brings tears to my eyes. Thank-you for sharing this tender, close to your heart, post with us. It brought back memories of caring for my own mother, and more tears, but also I received a strong sense of peace and composure to carry with me today. You reminded us so well that our inner strength and comfort does come from the Lord.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

I was interested to see that you posted the hymn being sung by the Morman Tabernacle Choir. Are you a Morman?

 
At May 16, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. What a refreshing reminder..

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

@ Angela, No I'm not a Mormon, I do enjoy the hymns that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings. They are known well for their choir.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

One of our ministers encouraged us to also think about this song with these words substituted, "I heed Thee every hour." This has been very helpful to think of heeding Him every hour just as we think of needing Him every hour.

Mrs. Hearts

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home