Monday, March 7, 2011

Living Each Day to the Fullest

TIME {Explored!}

Life is fleeting.

Seconds turn into hours, hours spill into weeks. Months slip into years.

You never know when the unforeseen {at least by us} will happen, and that tragedy has struck that you always hoped would never come.

Are you building memories with your children? Or is life rushing by so fast that those precious days are slipping away because you are to busy with _____ {you fill in the blank}.

Gather your children under your wings today. Breathe a Mother's blessing on them, hold them close, whisper words of encouragement to them. You never know if those words will be your last.

The day before my Mom died, I let something petty get between us. Thankfully it was resolved (on my part, she had done nothing wrong) and the last conversation I had with her before bed we were at perfect peace with each other. That night she had a stomach aneurysm, and she never regained consciousness to speak to me again. A squeeze on my hand was my parting goodbye. A final deep sigh, the last breath, and she closed her eyes.

Moments. Seconds. It happened just like that.

Dear friends of mine received a knock on the door one day during a calm afternoon. One sentence was to change their life forever. He's gone. A Husband and Father was instantly killed that day during a tragic car accident.

I don't mean to cast fear in your hearts. But I don't want regrets to come upon us. If one of my children died tomorrow, would I feel at peace with how I was mothering them? Or would I remember the frustration I felt towards them, the times I turned them away because I was to busy online {ouch} the ever present "in a minute" spoken to them as I struggled to get something done.

I am reminded yet again to live each day as if it was my last. Live it for the Lord, live it for my husband and children, my church family. When I meet my Maker one day, I want Him to say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. You tended to your family well." I don't want his condemnation that I loved my business or my hobbies better than I did taking care of my family. I'll admit it, sewing a beautiful dress, or blogging can be more fun than doing dishes, but is it eternally more important? Doing dishes is tending to my home, which I have been called to do, so it is vitally important.

If you struggle with focusing on the needful and important things, can I encourage you today to stop what you are busy with, and refocus on your family? Take your children to the park, write your husband a note of encouragement. Fix something nice {or for that matter, fix something!} for dinner tonight. Show your family you care about them. You won't regret it.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At March 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Kendal said...

Thank you for this post! This is so my heart recently!

 
At March 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you so much for posting this today. I need to be more mindful of this at my home. Raising a family and working full time is not any easy task and I find myself stressed and not paying attention when I should be. I have shared this post with my dear friends and hope they find the comfort I did today as well.

 
At March 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much. The Lord very much spoke to me through this. Bless you fellow mama.:)

 
At March 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Greg and Donna said...

That knock on the door happened to me 14 years ago. Its devastating and tragic. After 9 LONG years, the Lord blessed me with a husband who far exceeded my expecations, prayers, wildest dreams, etc. he is perfect and we are blessed.

 
At March 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Tara at The Adventures of MommyHaha said...

Thank you, God has been speaking this to me lately. Great post - I should re-read it often!

 
At March 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Elle said...

Thank you for reminding me.

New follower. Simple Wyrdings

 
At March 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Leah said...

Thank you for your post - it has been on my heart too. My in-laws were in a plane crash last summer and my mother-in-law has been in a coma since the crash. If I had only known that I would never hear her voice again....I had ignored a cell phone call from her the day before the crash because I was too busy to answer the call. So sad. Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry about the sudden death of your mother - it is never easy.
Shalom,
Leah

 
At March 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Cassidy said...

WOW, you have no idea how much this spoke to me!
Thank you with my whole heart for this post. It touched me and I felt as though it was written just for me.

Bless you child of God!
Cass

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home