Saturday, February 19, 2011

Meeting the Duggar Family!



I knew that the Duggar Family would be coming relatively close to us in February to do a fundraiser for a Crisis Pregnancy Center. My husband just couldn't make up his mind if we were going to go or not, and so I had resigned myself to not attending. After church on Sunday, I was surprised by my Sister and Mother-In-Law saying that they had bought tickets for us to attend as an early birthday present for me! To say I was excited is putting it mildly :)

I have long enjoyed watching the Duggar Family, and truly admire them for their convictions in letting the Lord bless their family. They have encouraged me many times from afar, and whenever I get overwhelmed and wonder how I can keep going, I think of Michelle and all she endures. I especially think of her when I get weary of the noise level that 2 little boys can produce. Just think how noisy her house can get!

The Children played their instruments and sang, and then Jim Bob and Michelle shared their testimony of how they met and came to the Lord. They also shared what it is really like to have a camera crew follow them around, and gave an update on Josie (she wasn't allowed to be in attendance).


I was touched with how genuine and humble this family really is. They don't put on airs or act like they know how special they are. The whole family is quick to smile and make eye contact with anyone they see. Somehow, they manage to make everyone feel welcome at a big event like this.



My husband blessed me by taking our youngest children out to the van so I could stand in line to meet them during the book signing. Michelle was SO sweet, and took the time to encourage me, and tell me that I'm in the hardest years right now with four children 7 and under, and that things do get easier. My husband happened to come back in right then, so we got a quick family picture with them.

Almost a week later, I'm still encouraged by being able to attend, and have been amused over how much my children have role played as the Duggars this week! :)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At February 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Lucky Girl! I hope to meet them someday. I have always been inspired by them. My kids and I watch their show every week when it is on. We love this family. I own their book too. Happy Early Birthday! :)

 
At February 19, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thanks Jenna! My birthday isn't until the end of March, so this really was an early birthday gift. :)

 
At February 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Jessica Kramasz said...

What a wonderful opportunity!

 
At February 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Wow! What a terrific experience! We always feel privileged when we get to watch their show. (We don't have cable, so it is a rare treat.)

 
At February 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Christine,

We don't have cable either, but my Mom bought several of the seasons on DVD, so that is how we watch them. :)

 
At February 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous Mama Laundry said...

Wow-What a great birthday treat!!

I have four children 5 and under. My oldest will be 6 in April and my youngest is 3 months. It is encouraging to hear that this is the hardest time!

:)
-Lauren

 
At February 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Chari said...

that is so cool!! :-)

 
At February 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM , Anonymous Gabe said...

How fun! What a blessing! Their show is my is my kids' favorite (we bought some of the DVD's, no cable). They are always asking when they will get to meet the Duggars. LOL!

I too have found so much encouragement through Mrs. Duggar, she is such a blessing!

 
At February 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of them. Duh! You're post encouraged m to look them up.
Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker
Children's Author of Klutzy Kantor & Marta's Gargantuan Wings
www.jadaykennedy.com

 
At February 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Erin J said...

I couldnt help but smile at what you wrote cause my children like to play "Duggars" as well. LOL!

 
At February 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sisters and I have "followed" the Duggars for awhile now. We don't have TV, but we looked up past shows on the TLC program. The Bates family, their friends are also interesting to watch. They're expecting their 19th child too!

 
At February 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I meant by "follow" was that we have been watching their shows for about two years now :)
How nice of your sister and mother-in-law to buy you the tickets as a present!

 
At February 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Mrs. Debbie said...

What a nice gift! I have the privilege of living in the same town as the Duggars. (Just across the highway!) We love watching the show & seeing them around town. I hope someday to actually meet Michelle instead of seeing her across the way. The closest I've gotten was this past November during our Christmas parade. Our church was passing out free hot chocolate to people watching the parade.(Outreach project) Right before the parade started we saw them across the street with the cameras so we loaded up a wagon with several cups of hot chocolate & passed it out to all of them. Michelle just kept thanking us & saying that it was a really great idea.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home