Monday, November 7, 2011

Shopping At Old Navy And What I Discovered....



I'll admit it-I just don't get out much! With four little children I don't have the time to hit up thrift stores constantly, much less attempt to shop at the mall where I hardly ever find anything I can 1. afford or 2. think is modest. Sometimes my sister goes with me shopping so she can stay with the children while I go in the dressing room to try on clothes, but we normally go to Kohls for their off season clearance racks. :)

There have been a lot of Old Navy coupons out lately so I browsed their website out of curiosity. I found a really nice maxi dress that was on clearance and it looked like I could nurse in it when the baby comes. I hardly ever wear dresses while nursing and sometimes it's just nice to have a dress that you can nurse in, besides the usual skirt and shirt I wear.

I normally do not like Old Navy clothes for women at all. I find most of them to be cheap and they don't hold up well (sorry for anyone who loves their clothes, that's just my observation!). The reviews I read on the website from customers said this dress was made really well, so I decided to go and check it out.

When I walked in with my three youngest children I was reminded again of why I don't like shopping there. This was probably my second time ever to be in their store. The blaring music is disturbing and I don't like my children hearing it. We quickly went back to the clearance aisle, I found the dresses and started to search for the fitting rooms. I found the sign pointing to the fitting rooms, and started to walk in only to see a man walk out with his young daughter. I was a little startled and glanced around to see if there was a different sign for the women's fitting room.

Nope. 

It was then I realized that Old Navy has a co-ed fitting room area. One long room with individual fitting rooms for men and women to try on the clothes. There wasn't even a side of the room marked off for men to use, and the other side for women. Just pick a fitting room and go for it. I'm used to the standard fitting room areas that are clearly marked off for men and women. For some of you that might not be a problem, but it greatly troubled me. Thankfully the doors were full length, but still....women are known for talking in fitting rooms, coming out and looking at themselves in the full length mirrors, etc. Our current society has so dumbed down the differences between men and women that now it is socially acceptable to share a fitting room area. 

After that shopping trip I was reminded again of why I rarely go to the mall. I was grateful to be out of there, and I don't plan another shopping trip at the mall for a very long time. As for Old Navy?  I don't like supporting companies who constantly push the line on what is acceptable. This is a company who released gay pride shirts during the gay pride month that Obama declared. I boycotted them for sure during that time...but after shopping there again I realize I just need to permanently check them off my list of stores I shop at.

Standing up for what is right involves making a stand on big and little things. Some might feel a dressing room is extremely little, and in light of an issue like abortion it certainly is. But constantly letting these little things go is what has resulted in the American we have today. And I don't think that's a very good thing.


Labels:

23 Comments:

At November 7, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Target has co-ed fitting rooms, too.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

At the Target I shop at they have clearly marked Men and Women's fitting room signs. I hope they don't change that and make co-ed fitting rooms the standard. :(

 
At November 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

My Target has separate fitting rooms as well. I love Target! (and not just for their fitting rooms) Their clothes hold up well, they have great return policies, and some of the est prices on baby stuff around. I tend to shop their clearance mostly, and occasionally there are things there that I don't consider clearance prices, it overall, Target is a great store.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this...I thought it was just me! I've been in ON very few times & remember why it's not a place I frequent before I even get past the doors. As soon as i set foot inside and look around, I see nothing I like, am overwhelmed by the music, but decide to give it a try. I have left empty-handed every time. Last week was my last visit - was looking for a specific style top for a newish skirt I found at a thrift & thought they might have something cute. Nope. I left & determined it was my last visit. I didn't even know about the dressing room issue because I haven't made it that far! lol But would've felt strange, I'm sure.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Raising Mighty Arrows said...

Thank you for your stand, Caroline!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Anonymous Hannah said...

I think you are absolutely right! I heard of a young college girl who was attending a public university where boys and girls stayed on the same floor. Her suite shared a shower with a suite of boys. What bothered her about that situation was the shower had no curtain. Where I attended college boys and girls didn't even stay in the same dorm. I was greatly disturbed.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care if it is free flip flop day. I stay out of stores with obnoxious music and pictures on the wall that make my husband have to look at his shoes the whole time we are in there. There is a store at our mall where the employees got paid an extra dollar and hour if they only wore their underwear/bras on Black Friday.....still can't figure out how that was legal.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Amy said...

That's one reason why I never feel comfortable in Old Navy stores either. Well, that and it seems like the blouses have gotten less and less modest and I'm just not okay with that. I find that I've been doing more and more of my shopping online. EBay is my thrift store!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Shannon said...

Wow! I haven't been in ON in years because I just never found anything that fit well, and the clothing kept getting thinner and more cheaply made(observed from friends wearing it).

Thanks for the heads up to skip the store when friends try to pass me coupons.
I tend to shop at stores that only sell womens clothing, and my dear husband generally waits outside the store with one or more of the kids so I can shop in peace with no, I'm bored, there is nothing here for me, whaa type issues.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

I've never heard of co-ed fitting rooms! The Old Navy where I've been (in Canada, not sure if that makes a difference) has ladies/men fitting rooms. I love shopping online at Old Navy. Free shipping over $50 and free returns!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Grateful Grammy said...

Amen!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But constantly letting these little things go is what has resulted in the American we have today".... SO TRUE!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Hi, I really like your site.
We hardly go shopping for the very reasons mentioned...yet Mama needs a nice pair of shoes every now and then.

Sun. my husband surprised us with the shoe shopping trip. As we walked in my 11 year old daughter said, "This place is weird, it's like a mall or something."
I tried not to laugh, "This IS the mall"
"Really?"
Maybe that sounds "backward", but I certainly wasn't ashamed that she wasn't familiar to the mall idea. I wasn't able to cover my boys eyes(all five pairs of them) as we passed the store with the purposely top-less and nippled manikins. My husband was really annoyed.
I found the shoes I liked and we split quick. I don't even like Walmart but it is mild compared to the mall.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Kelli said...

Very, very true. Our new-ish Target, new-ish WalMart... and the list could go on- ALL CO-ED. YIKES! Our children are going to grow up to think that is okay?!?! Not in our house. So glad to hear I'm not alone.

 
At November 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Mama Tango said...

Interesting...I can't remember the last time I went into ON, and I never make it as far as the fitting rooms. Another reason for me to skip their sales! Thanks for posting this.

 
At November 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Jacinda Vandenberg said...

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" (or something like that ;-)

Way to do what's right!

 
At November 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen! it is certainly a slippery slope to begin combining men and women's dressing room areas! who knows what these dens of immodesty will invent next?? scripture clearly warns us of these types of compromises in 2 kings 9:20, "And the watchman told, saying, He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously."

thank you for standing for true biblical femininity in these licentious times! what a blessing! to God be the glory! hallelujah!

 
At November 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your stand!! Like the commenter said before me, it really is a slippery slope! In Europe they have open dressing rooms! It's all one big room lined with mirrors leaving nothing to the imagination. Sadly, this is what leads to situations like with Lot and his daughters (Genesis 19:30-38). Dressing rooms without proper distinction are just the beginning and displease God.

 
At November 13, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you, Carolyn, for this post. This has been something that has concerned me for some time. I have often commented to my husband when we have run across stores that have coed dressing rooms. Not only is not right, it is just plain weird (and distressing!) to be undressing with a man in the dressing room next to you. Our Goodwill has a similar set-up. I always find myself agitated when I come out of Old Navy and realize the music has a lot to do with it. I agree that if we desire higher standards, we need to expect it and act as necessary. May the Lord bless you!

 
At November 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Mrs David W said...

I have prayed about how to phrase this comment and I must say it is meant in love.
I see that a lot of ladies seem to feel strongly about this issue of co-ed dressing rooms. While staying away from the stores completely, is certainly one way. Could you not, instead make your minds known. Or, have your husband make the feelings known, all in a letter to the company.
It could make a huge difference in how things are done, if people who feel this way unite and write the companies that practice this.
It could be done, calmly and gently but still get the point across. It seems like sometimes as believers we get frustrated and talk about the way things are. We must remember though, that these are not Christians out there setting these things in motion. They are poor sinning people who might have no idea their need for a savior. We could be there, were it not for the grace of God.
It could be a big impact for the kingdom to humbly ask for change.
Carolyn, I am not trying to be confrontational and I understand if you choose not to publish this comment. I just felt the Lord would have me voice my opinion here.

 
At November 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Far Above Rubies said...

Caroline, thank you for taking a stand. I never go to the mall for the same reasons. The pictures and ads plastered all over the mall is enough to make me feel uneasy.

Amen, friend.

 
At November 15, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Beck said...

I have shopped at Old Navy many times and I agree that their clothes are not always the best quality and the music is pretty loud. However, I don't have a problem with not having separate fitting room areas. Actually I have never noticed it until you pointed it out! The fitting rooms have closed doors and full length mirrors inside so there is never any reason to come out or for a man to see me changing or vice versa. I don't come out of a fitting room in any state of undress whether there is separate areas for men and women or not.
There is a lot of moral degradation in our society for sure, but this would not be my hill to die on.

 
At November 16, 2011 at 12:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Beck. In stores like Old Navy (and many, many others), it's much more practical to have a co-ed fitting room rather than staffing two seperate areas. Plus, it's much more convenient for moms taking their sons shopping for school clothes, sisters helping their brothers shop, etc. The rooms lock and allow for plenty of privacy. Of course, if it makes you uncomfortable, it's reasonable for you to avoid these situations. Still, I have to wonder, at what point are we standing up for morality and at what point are we being paranoid and judgmental? I do respect your convictions, though. It is nice to see people willing to stand up for what they perceive as right, even if it may seem silly to others. - Beth

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home