Thursday, August 11, 2011

Supplements I take While Pregnant

Normally I am not very good at taking supplements. I research what is good for me to take, buy the bottles, and then they end up sitting on my counter. :( This pregnancy I have been much more diligent about taking my supplements, mainly because I'm struggling through this pregnancy with having little energy, lots of low blood pressure and dizziness, etc. At my last midwife apt. we found out I was pretty anemic, so I'm on supplements right now to help the anemia also. I'm so glad we tested to see as my iron levels are so low I couldn't have a home birth if we were close to the end. Thankfully we have plenty of time to get my levels raised before the baby is due.

Here is a list of what I am currently taking during this pregnancy.

Prenatal Vitamin - A good prenatal vitamin should be a standard supplement taken. For many of us who have lots of babies close together, it's wise to just stay on a prenatal while nursing, as you never know when a new blessing is going to appear! I highly respect Shonda Parker, and she recommends taking Integrative Therapeutics Prenatal Forte Supplement for pregnancy. The first midwife I used also recommends that supplement and sold it in her office. Besides all the usual vitamins that you need, I love all the extra herbs that are in it that help to support a healthy pregnancy. It has Alfalfa, Raspberry leaf, Yellow Dock Root, Cranberry, Dandelion, Papaya, and Stinging Nettle added to it, all of which are herbs excellent to take while pregnant. You do have to take six a day, but if I remember to take four a day I'm happy. :)



Pregnancy Tea - I am not faithful about drinking this every day, but I do the best I can. This tea tastes the best I have ever tried, and that's saying a lot since I don't like tea! I ordered it from the Bulk Herb Store, it's called the Mama's Red Raspberry Brew. You get quite a bit in a bag!

Varicose Veins - Every pregnancy my varicose veins in my right leg and ankle get worse. This pregnancy I'm taking Veno-Care, and while I'm still in a lot of pain, it still seems to be a little bit better than my last pregnancy. The swelling looks the same, but the pain is slightly better.




Fish Oil - Taking a prenatal fish oil is highly recommended by almost every Dr. these days! I am taking mine for all the good benefits for the baby, but also to help avoid any sort of post-partum depression. I've only struggled with that slightly with one baby, but it was enough that I don't want it again! I have been taking the Garden of Life Oceans Mom Prenatal DHA supplement.

Iron - For my anemia I started taking Floridix, which is a natural iron supplement. Thankfully it does not cause constipation, as iron supplements are notoriously known for. Right now I'm taking the maximum dose allowed of 2 times per day, but once my iron levels rise I'll probably just do once a day. I'm also taking Bifera, which is a supplement I found at Walgreen's. During my last pregnancy I became really anemic at the end as well, and this helped to quickly raise it along with the Floridix. So my midwife has me taking both right now.




Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At August 11, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

Thanks for sharing your list. I am taking notes! ;-)

I have a question for you, Caroline. Does fish oil help if you struggle with depression that is not related to post partum? I take a few other supplements to help me and am doing pretty well...but wondered if I might add this one to my list.

Thanks!

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing

 
At August 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Mary,

I have always understood that fish oil helps depression even if it is not related to post partum. My midwife calls it the "happy oil" and I would be on it for sure if I struggled with depression all the time. ((hugs)) I hope that helps!

 
At August 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

You are wonderful, Caroline! Thank you! I will get some while we are in town this morning!

 
At August 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

You are welcome! I've always heard that Nordic Natural, or Carlson brand are really good brands to buy. And I've also read you might have to take more of a medicinal dose than just what is on the bottle. I'm sure if you google it you will find lots of info on dosing.

 
At August 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Mama Chocolate said...

I use the same brand of pre-natal vitamins. I pretty much just take them all the time, (when I remember, lol!) since I've been pregnant and/or nursing for the past three years. ;-)

 
At August 11, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Ben and April said...

I too have had low iron this pregnancy and am taking liquid chlorpyhll w/ mint, Flordix and a supplement my friend had great success with Hema-plex by Nature's Plus. The Hemaplex is a gel capsule which I appreciate! It has 85mg of iron in 2 capsules, so if you are not gettng the results you need, I highly recommend it. It is very reasonably priced too.

 
At August 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently taking those prenatals as well! I am very pleased with them but it is hard for me to remember to take so many a day! I am finding them hard to swallow (swallowing has not been easy this pregnancy) so I am lucky if I take 4 as well. Have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home