Thursday, March 17, 2011

A peek into our house

Would you like to see what I have been up to lately?

It might scare some, and others might feel quite at home here. :) I'm showing you pictures of my house that are real. Not cleaned up for company pictures.

1. We finally went through my Mom's house and got it ready to sell. I came home with my inheritance. Boxes upon boxes of homeschooling books. She planned for many years to leave us books to use for homeschooling. I just wish she could be here to use them with us still. :( They are a great blessing though, and I have many fond memories of using them when I was in school.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to put them all. We put up some really cheap bookcases for now, until my husband has time to build some custom built in bookcases. As he is custom cabinet maker (among other things) I'm willing to be patient! And {swoon} he is letting me paint the bookcases white! I'm so excited!



2. I also inherited my Mother's Grand Piano! This is a tremendous blessing to us, and I've had a hard time doing anything else besides playing it! My Mom taught me how to play piano, before I started taking lessons from someone else. I have so many memories of singing with her, and playing duets, etc. with her. So this is very, very special to have.



(The rug on the piano bench is temporary. I'm planning on sewing a cushion for it from this tutorial that will match my curtains in my living room).


3. We are moving our two little girls out of the shared room with the boys ( the girls are only almost 3 and 15 months) and putting them in the room that holds my sewing stuff. Now I have to figure out where to put this, and *ahem* organize it bit better than this!




4. My little girl has started climbing on furniture, and walking! Nothing is cuter than watching a little one learn to take their first steps! My children have been about 14 months before they take their first step, and she was no exception. Every day she takes more steps than the day before.





5. And finally, this winter I have learned what being a single parent is like. My husband worked on a snow removal crew at a local Ford Plant (and other places) and was gone a lot since we received our fair share of snow! He would be called out for several days in a row at times, and I learned all over again what a blessing he is to me. I'm incredibly thankful that he normally puts the children to bed, something that started when my health was really poor. I didn't realize how much I valued that time until he wasn't here to do it! We all missed him a lot, and while I'm grateful that I think the snow is over, now I'm about to become a spring and summer "widow" as the lawn care season will be starting soon! :-)





What has your family been busy doing?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At March 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Discovering the Me in Mommy said...

Ooh....love your inherited items!
If you get a chance, come over for a visit --
http://discoveringthemeinmommy.blogspot.com

 
At March 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the end of winter in Texas. Eighty degrees here, today. I'm having a deck/patio built at the entrance of my home. We're planting and planning on outside improvements. Hopefully the real estate market will recover by next summer. We want to sell this home and move back to civilization.
Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker
Children's Author of Klutzy Kantor & Marta's Gargantuan Wings
www.jadaykennedy.com

 
At March 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Cassidy said...

What a blessing your Mom left to you. Your home looks very nice though I know it will take a lot of work to move your sewing/craft room into somewhere else and make that a child's room. You can do it though - we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. I've been doing some major pile cleaning that had built up in our bedroom and bathroom. It's done now (I blogged about it many times along the way with all my before and after pics to encourage myself, lol) and now I am feeling like I need another big project but there's none at this time. I've just got to keep maintaining everything. We are also homeschoolers. I invite you to my blog to peek around if you'd like. Smiles, Cass

www.lullabiesandlipstick.blogspot.com

 
At March 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Are You A Mom said...

Hello,
I am following you from the hop, please stop by and say hi and follow me too...I love that you mentioned your kids didn't walk until 14 months...I have been wondering when my 9 month old will crawl...I think I need to learn to be patient mommy :)
Maureen
Areyouamom.com

 
At March 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Brooke said...

Your house "as is" looks so much cleaner than mine! Love the piano!
My children are early walkers and later talkers.:) So far the first two have been walking at 9 and 10 months. I think #3 won't be too far behind. She is 8 months now. Of course, they hardly say two words until they are about a year and a half old! (then they take off like rockets!) Not walking keeps them out of trouble for a while- lucky you!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Anonymous Paula said...

Oh wow, your sewing table looks just like mine. same sewing machine, a Janome? Serger beside it, Lamp behind them. I have A DIFFERENT COLOR SHADE, but its the same style, base and all. thanks for sharing the pictures. ☺♥ love, Paula

 
At March 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

@Paula, Yes my sewing machine is a Janome and I love it!!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Mama Chocolate said...

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to post photos of MY house! LOL! ;-) It's not lookin' too good right now.
I've been looking into sewing machines lately, (my ancient one just isn't cutting it anymore,) and someone recommended Janome. Good to know you like yours!
Now I'm going to get off the computer and clean up from the tornado that apparently hit our house!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how nice is the grand piano your mom left to you! It not only makes beautiful music, but is a lovely piece of furniture too! My sisters and I all play guitar (not Rock music), I play the fiddle a bit, and some of us the tin whistle. We sing together too. I love piano music!
All those homeschooling books must be such a blessing.
Our mom just got us a sewing machine and we plan on learning how to sew this summer! We'd like to start making our own skirts and other clothes.
You could probably look up on the internet how to make yourself a nice sewing corner...something like a closet! When you don't need to work at your sewing table, you can just fold the table and close the doors and it looks like a closet! Just an idea.
I like design and stuff- so this came to mind when you mentioned that about your sewing machine.

 
At March 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Phyllis said...

What are we busy with? A new baby! And he's just wonderful!

Also, we're trying to get a birth certificate for him and some other documents for me. It's really complicated, and I won't try to explain, but if you would pray about it, I'd be very grateful.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Diane said...

WOW! My aunt moved into a retirement center (via her rich sons) and ALL of her belongings were brought to my house to distribute to family and/or put in large garage sale. I am STILL reaping the MESS of it all!! What a job!

... but we also reaped benefit from it, and I treasure the things that bring memories of the childhood holidays at her home, and my children's time with her.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home