Friday, January 27, 2012

7 Essential Wardrobe Tips



Here are some wardrobe tips I have learned through the years! 


1. Stick with essential items first! If you are on a tight budget, then several versatile denim skirts and a khaki skirt is the best bang for your buck.

2. Figure out what colors look best on you. An easy way to do this is to get a color book  and look through it. I look best in brown, black, teal, white, certain shades of pink, among other colors. Orange and certain colors of blue don't do much for me. My sister has fair skin, so she looks best in brighter colors to prevent her from being washed out.

3. Know what shape your body is. While we don't want to flaunt the shape of our body, there are certain things that look much better on different body types than on others. If you have not figured out what shape you are, this book is very good at helping figure that out - though I don't agree with everything in the book.

You can waste a lot of time and money if you don't know what color and cut of clothes that flatter you the best. It can be helpful to take a friend (or your husband if he is willing!) out shopping with you for a second opinion if you are just learning these things.

4. Have a plan in mind when you shop. Just like planning a grocery menu, it can be helpful to look at your closet and write down a list of what clothing items you want to purchase. That way you aren't tempted by a cute item that you really don't need when you are out shopping.

5. Avoid cheaply made items. I have learned that while certain stores have good deals, the fabric is so cheap that it just won't hold up. Also, really thin knit shirts can be extra clingy, so that is another reason I avoid them.

6. Shop off season for the best deals! My sister taught me this trick, and I try to do it as much as possible. Right now is a great time to be purchasing coats for next winter. Even though it is tempting to look at the cute spring line that is already being unveiled, try to hit the super discounted specials while you can. I'm always thrilled when I pull out a brand new item months later that I bought at a great price!

7. Liven up a basic wardrobe with a few cute accessories. A scarf, flexi clip in your hair, or a simple pair of pearl earrings can go a long way.  Even if you are a mom that feels overwhelmed, it really doesn't take that much time to add one or two extra items to your outfit.

*There are just a few days left to take advantage of our 5% discount at The Modest Mom! Enter: ENDOFMONTH to save on your entire order! This ends January 31*

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At January 27, 2012 at 5:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips, thank you

 
At January 27, 2012 at 5:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips :)

 
At January 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Rachel E. said...

I totally agree with you on the "avoid cheap clothes" point. I quit buying cheap clothing because it just doesn't last. When you calculate how much you really spend on cheap stuff compared to a higher quality item, you would never look at it again.

 
At January 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Kasey @ Walking Redeemed said...

My wardrobe needs some serious tlc. Since my babies were born 7 months ago, I have sported a less than feminine look on far too many occasions! These are great tips to get me back on track! How is that sweet baby doing?

 
At January 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Meghan Carver said...

Shopping off season works great for us! Now is the time to buy long-sleeve shirts that can be hemmed to 3/4 length sleeves for spring and summer. Thanks for sharing!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Meghan Carver said...

Shopping off season works great for us. Now is the time also to buy long-sleeve shirts which can be hemmed to 3/4 length for spring and summer. Thanks for sharing!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Anonymous The Print Blog said...

After reading your article I am going to try my best to straighten out my wardrobe. I have a lot of "cheap clothes" that I need to get rid of.

 
At January 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Lindsey W. said...

Thanks for the tips. I always enjoy reading your posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home