Thursday, January 26, 2012

Books We Are Reading In January


I'm going to start sharing what books we are reading each month, particularly the books we are reading out loud. 


Growing up I have fond memories of the books my mom read out loud to us. My children love literature time in school, and from a very young age have always loved being read to. 

Our Read Aloud List For January

1. Little Faith by Mrs. O. F. Walton - This book is part of our lamplighter series, but for some reason I can't find this in the lamplighter series being sold online still. My husband read this out loud to our children while I was recovering from giving birth, and they seemed to enjoy it. Some of the story was a bit intense and scary, my husband skipped over a few pages when the Grandmother was found dead. Otherwise the story had many good lessons in it for the children. 

2. The Rewards of Childhood Truth - I love books that teach godly character to my children, and this book was very helpful in describing the great gain that can be found from telling the truth. The story has two young boys in it, so my boys listened closely as the story unfolded. 

3. Calamity Jane, The Wise Old Raccoon by Sam Campbell - This was a HUGE hit with my children, and I enjoyed it almost as much as they did! The story about a raccoon named Calamity Jane and her adventures. What I appreciated is that the story was factual, the raccoon did not talk. Rather the author followed the raccoon through the different seasons and shared about her experiences having her raccoon babies. This would be an excellent nature study book for homeschooling. My eight year old son is now reading this out loud to his brother as he loved the story so much! 

3. On The Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder - We have read the other three books in this series out loud, and we just started this book. My children beg me to read more every day, and can't get enough of this whole series! I also have gotten some of the books on CD from the library so they can listen to it at night. I read these books over and over again growing up, so I'm delighted that my children enjoy them. 

4. The Proverbs - Every morning (or almost every morning!) I'm reading out loud the Proverbs of the day for our morning devotion. We love to stop and sing a verse when we know the song. :) We have used the Proverbs Flashcards from The Learning Parent, so when we come to a verse they have memorized we all say it out loud together. 


Books I'm Reading Myself

1. The Little Book of Christian Character & Manners by William and Colleen Dedrick -  Every once in a while I need a to refresh myself with a good child training book. :) It motivates me to keep going and gets me centered again on what is really important. This book has a lot of good advice packed into a 100 page book! Now I need to implement what I'm reading.

What books are you reading this month?








Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM , Blogger The Scribbler said...

We have just started reading chapter books to our five year old, would The Rewards of Childhood Truth hold his attention? You mentioned your boys enjoyed it, how old are they?

 
At January 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Raechel said...

I am going to check out Calamity Jane, that sounds like something we would enjoy. We are reading Among the Forest People, and On the Far Side of the Mountain (sequel to My Side of Mountain). Those are the two that we are currently reading. As for me I am currently reading, Queen of the Home. What encouragement I am finding in this book. I love it so much that I bought one for my best friend who lives a couple states away. Thank you for sharing your books that you read.

 
At January 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Amanda,

Our boys our 6 and 8. The 8 year old liked it better than the 6 year old, but our 6 year old did sit still and listen to it.

 
At January 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful list - I have added some of these to my Amazon wish list.

I am reading Kisses from Katie and the Power of a Praying Wife.

And listening to Gone with the Wind as an audio book while I crochet.

 
At January 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

The Titus 2 Woman. I just started it.

 
At January 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Lee said...

I have a link up on this very thing at my blog today. Come over and check it out!
http://www.creative2xmom.blogspot.com/2012/01/bookmarks-for-january-2012.html

 
At February 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

Sounds like a wonderful list of books to be reading. Where do you get your books? I noticed that you can no longer get them through amazon and they are a bit pricy used there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home