Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Childrearing as our profession


I looked on childrearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully interesting and challenging as any honourable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring to it. 
                                     ~ Rose Kennedy ~


Do you consider being a mother your profession? 


If I have learned anything since becoming a mother, it is that raising children is  one of the most exhausting and demanding jobs that is out there. No wonder so many mothers choose to drop their children off at daycare and let someone else raise them from 8-5, because working somewhere else is often times easier than being with young children all day! 


In a sense we do work for an employer while raising our children. God has clearly laid out a path in raising children - just read the book of Proverbs! He entrusted to us precious souls that we must lead to Him, so let us be diligent while we work, never slacking from our duty. 


The bonuses and pay checks will come in time-after long 80 hour work weeks. Just when you think you can't keep going on and a particular child's temper or disobedience has you so discouraged, the Lord sends relief. The child's heart might become broken finally and yield to obedience, or you simply may have read a word of encouragement that lifted you up out of the dark hole you were in. 


Just as we need to encourage our husbands when they work long hours, we also need to find encouragement during our hours of mothering. Get on your knees and cry out to the Lord if you are weary, talk to your husband about possible solutions for problems in the home, or try to get outside for a breath of fresh air by yourself. 


The Lord IS faithful! He will provide your every need!  

Labels:

10 Comments:

At December 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Renae D said...

Love it!!

Although, if I'm being honest I never desire to squash my kid's spirits. Their energy and strong will tends to drive me batty but I figure well behaved people rarely make history!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Diana said...

Thank you for this! I really need the encouragement. We are working on behavior/attitude issues with our 5yo that just seem to go on and on and ON despite my round-the-clock efforts to work on it. Trying to keep going is truly a challenge. Thanks!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

A very encouraging post! I had always wanted a large family, I am living the life I had hoped for. I just hadn't anticipated on the amount of work and trying of my nerves! And I thank you for mentioning how much easier it would be to send the children to day care>>ONLY in the short run!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous In the Nursery of the Nation said...

Caroline, thank you for this encouragement and truth. If it were easy more women would be doing it :( But we will reap in due time if we faint not!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I had a rough time with post-partum depression after my son was born, and I was so relieved to return to work and let him go to daycare. Until the day he would not take his eyes off his caregiver when it was time for me to take him home. He was about 10 weeks old. He came to me, and he didn't throw a fit or anything, but I could tell that he thought he was supposed to be with her. It broke my heart. Fortunately for my relationship with him, my husband and I soon after that, both found ourselves unemployed and made the decision that I would continue to stay home with my son after my husband found work. That was 4 years ago, and while money is tight, it is a decision neither of us has regretted. Now the question is do we add to our family or do I return to the workforce, part-time, when my son starts school next fall...

 
At December 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Anonymous Sharon said...

Thanks for the encouragement today.

 
At December 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I clean houses each week for about 6 hours on average. I always consider myself a stay at home mother, not a self-employed or part-time worker. My job is raising my children. I sure wish I was homeschooling, but my husband doesn't want that. I do my best caring for my home, preparing for when my husband and children return when I'm not "working" outside the home.

 
At December 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Audrey @ DefrumpMe said...

This post was very encouraging. I feel so tired lately....motherhood just seems to get harder and harder. I have a 4 year-old boy and a 2 year-old boy, and the constant whining, fighting, and demands just get to me after a while. It's funny--I found the Rose Kennedy quote a couple years ago and definitely claimed it as my motto, so to speak. I love my children and want to do my very best, but it's just so hard. Thankful for God's grace and your encouraging post!

 
At December 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo needed this encouragement/reminder today. I have four children, ages 11mo-8years. One is a special needs child who we struggle with medically and behaviorally. I also home school. My husband works 12 hours away from home everyday. It's so very trying, and I feel as if I hit bottom often. I appreciate your encouragement in what seems like a never ending time of need!

 
At December 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I had a rough night last night with a teething toddler. However, I wouldn't change anything for the world. God Bless!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home