Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tick Tock!


I need more time. How many of us have said that? I need more time to finish up a project, I need more time to keep my house clean, I need more time to get all the homeschooling in.

I listened to a talk last night by Susan Bradrick entitled "Twenty-Four Hours Is All You Get." I had listened to it a while back, but this time I turned it on with a heart that was willing to listen to all she had to say. I knew what she was going to say, she was going to call me out. I'm one of the guilty ones that she talks about, the ladies who say they don't like schedules, or they can never make them work for their family. Listening to the talk made me realize that the only job you can get away with NOT being on a schedule is if you are a homemaker, or run your own business. If you work for someone else, you have to stay by their schedule or you will lose your job. The guy who cooks the hamburgers at McDonald's listens to his boss, and his boss listens to the higher up guy over other McDonald's. If someone doesn't do their job, things get chaotic quick!

Some might say, "all we do is cook and clean and teach our children. It's not that important to be on a schedule."

I'm here to tell you that I very painfully feel the affects in our family life from the lack of scheduling. If you don't tell time what to do, it will just slip through your fingers, and you can never get it back again. Every minute counts for something eternal. At every tick of the clock, our children are growing. I don't think one of us would look back and regret having organized our day to where our home ran smoothly, and we had more time to spend with our children.

What to do about it? A schedule must be made! But it all to quickly is made, and then forgotten about. I realized last night that what keeps me motivated is to listen to talks from women who have been where I'm at, and hear how they picked themselves up and made their time count. So I'm resolved not just to make a schedule (yet again) for our family, but also to keep encouraging myself along the way to stick with it. Just like going to church each week encourages us in our christian walk, reading or listening to someone encouraging us to stick with the discipline of managing our time would be very helpful in the start of this journey.

So, does anyone have suggestions on other books I should read or talks I should listen to? I'd love to have any tips you can pass along!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At September 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best book I have ever read on scheduling is Managers of Their Homes by Teri Maxwell. I have had it for 3 years and still haven't implemented it but I am convicted and inspired every time I read it. Highly recommend it :)

Erica

 
At September 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM , Blogger OrangeBlossom said...

I second the book, Managers of Their Homes. Each year, I reread it and we implement more. At first it was very daunting, but over the years I can see how well it works.

They also have Managers of Their Chores, which I've found helpful with myself and my five kids. I do not like housework, but I do it for the Lord.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Tammy R said...

I agree with the other 2 comments.

I wanted to mention that The Bradrick Family is so wonderful! We used to buy meat from them at their farm (in the early 2000's). My children loved playing with theirs. They have a website with even more resources.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Thank you for the book suggestion! I actually have that book, but it has overwhelmed me. I need to pull it out again and read through it.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

If you are not opposed to a book by a Catholic author, A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot is my favorite. I reread it every few months. Now, if I could just implement my plans... :)

 
At October 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM , Blogger jes said...

I don't have a book to recommend, but a warning! Or maybe it's a question?

I looked into the Managers of Their Home that so many recommended. I went to Amazon first, because, well, I love Amazon. They list the book for $65 dollars. My jaw dropped. Who would ever buy or recommend that?! But luckily, I read the comments and one woman mentioned buying hers used, but seeing a good price at the Maxwell's website. So I look up their website, where they are selling their book (new) for...$25 dollars.

Is this even the same book? The prices seem so crazy, I'm concerned that I may buy the wrong thing. Can someone point me in the correct direction here?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home