Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Woman In Her Home

I love books! I spent many a summer afternoon as a teenager curled up in a chair or sitting outside reading. I started my own library when I was a teenager. I tried to buy not just good books, but the best books. Books that would stand the test of time. Books that would be great resources, encouraging, and great biographies. I looked for books that I couldn't find in the library. I had so much fun! My Mom, sister, and I would find books at homeschool book sales and used book stores.

There isn’t a lot of time now to browse through my books. Occasionally it’s time to find a new “spare” reading book. Off I go to my shelves looking for treasure. I get reacquainted with the titles and contents.

I found two books I own by Ella May Miller. One is titled "A Woman In Her Home." It was written in 1968 and published by Moody Press. Then followed her book titled "I Am A Woman."

Ella Miller believed that a successful Christian family depended upon the mother guiding her family in God’s way. If you can get find her books I would recommend reading these little treasures.

A beautiful poem ends the first chapter in A Woman In Her Home. I wanted to share this.

BEATITUDES FOR HOMEMAKERS

Blessed is she whose daily tasks are a work of love; For her willing hands and happy heart transform Duty into joyous service to all her family and God.

Blessed is she who opens the door to welcome both stranger and well- loved friend; for gracious hospitality is a test of brotherly love.

Blessed is she who mends stockings and toys and broken hearts; for her understanding is a balm to her husband and children.

Blessed is she who scours and scrubs; for well she knows that cleanliness is one expression of godliness.

Blessed is she whom children love; for the love of a child is of greater value than fortune or fame.

Blessed is she who sings at her work; for music lightens the heaviest load and brightens the dullest chore.

Blessed is she who dusts away doubt and fear and sweeps out the cobwebs of confusion; for her faith will triumph over all adversity.

Blessed is she who serves with laughter and smiles with every meal; for her cheerfulness is an aid to mental and physical digestion.

Blessed is she who introduces Jesus Christ to her children; for godly sons and daughters shall be her reward.

Blessed is she who preserves the sacredness of the Christian home; for hers is a divine trust that crowns her with dignity. By Ella May Miller

From Jennifer Allen

Labels:

1 Comments:

At April 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Oh I needed to read this poem this evening! After a frazzled day of feeling like we've not accomplished all that was needed to be done...
"Blessed is she who dusts away doubt and fear and sweeps out the cobwebs of confusion; for her faith will triumph over all adversity."
We did a much needed Bible reading after dinner...whew! There is another TOMORROW to get those motherly things done. Right now, its time to rest with Jesus for the evening.

Blessings~

Rachel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home