Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Make your own Natural Deodorant!


There are some things I worry about, and deodorant happens to be one of them. Yes, you read that right! Such a simple thing, right? Buy it, use it, and don't think about it again until you've run out. For me, there's a little more to it than that.

I spent my childhood and teen years watching my great grandma slowly lose her memory to Alzheimer's. As I got older, I realized that most of the time she had no comprehension that I was even related to her. The disease became more than just a name to me; looking on as a loved one lost her mental connection to her past - even immediate past - was very difficult to bear. While I am not paranoid about it by any means, I try my best to avoid products that contain ingredients which have been linked to Alzheimer's. Deodorants happen to be high on the list, as many of the most popular brands contain aluminum as one of the main ingredients - a product that has been strongly suspected of causing Alzheimer's. Deodorants with aluminum in them are high on my list of items I refuse to purchase.

Well, that should be easy enough to avoid you might think. Just go to the local health food stores and pick up one of the natural selections there! Believe me, I have tried. Jason's, Toms of Maine, the crystal rock, and on and on. Basically I have poured money down the drain, because every time I brought a new one home my husband would tell me that it just didn't work (especially the crystal rock thing). Having been married for 8 years now, I've heard this statement for all my married life! He never asked me to go buy the name brand stuff, as he understood why I was trying to avoid it. It seems we have always been on a hunt for a natural deodorant that will actually work for him! Perhaps by this time you are thinking that I have just been unfortunate to marry an exceptionally smelly man : / Actually, he owns a lawn care company, so there is lots of sweating in the Summer. He is a cabinet maker in the winter time, so that doesn't exactly help either. Poor fellow.

I saw a recipe for homemade deodorant with lots of rave reviews. I almost didn't make it, because I couldn't imagine something so simple working if all these other deodorants hadn't worked. But in an attempt to try something new I made it one night and asked my husband to try it. Wonder of all wonders, he has since happily reported to me that this stuff works better than even the name brand deodorant you can buy at Wal-mart!! I am extremely happy, and now the only request I am hearing from him is to buy a push up container so he doesn't have to use his fingers to put it on. :-)

So what is in this fantastic deodorant? Here is the simple recipe.



6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (arrowroot is preferred and that is what I used).

Directions

1. Combine equal portions of baking soda and arrowroot powder.
2. Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken. I used a spoon and it took a little bit before the coconut oil was mixed in well.
3. Scoop this recipe into your old deodorant dispenser (I wish I would have saved mine and done this!) or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.



I put it in some essential oil just to add some more scent, but the coconut oil adds a tropical scent all by itself. You can go over to the Passionate Homemaking blog for more information, and she has even posted a vlog with instructions.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

This post is linked up to:


Raising Homemakers



Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At February 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger A Restful Place said...

I'm going to have to try this! :) It looks like it would be a great alternative. Blessings ~ Tabitha

 
At February 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for a recipe with a rave review! Looking forward to trying it!!

 
At February 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to try this out. My hubby has had a really hard time finding a deodorant that doesn't give him a rash.

 
At February 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I saw this somewhere a few months ago and was waiting to use all of my current stick, so I could re-use the old container. Can’t wait to try it! Alzheimer's runs in my family, and I’m also thinking that it would be healthier for moms who are breastfeeding! You can never be too careful! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At February 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Marie said...

We made the homemade deodorant not too long ago and we can't get over how well it really works. I won't go back to any other kinda again!!! SO cheap to make too!!!

 
At February 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Debbie S. said...

What consistancy is this deodorant to be? A solid like store bought or soft like cream or inbetween? It is to have a grainy feel from the baking soda?
Thanks

 
At February 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deena said.....

Thanks for posting this. I have trouble with the natural deodrants because ALL of them make me itch like crazy. Recently I've just been spraying perfume on my shirt under my arms. I don't know how well it has worked. I'm definitely going to try this.

 
At February 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

The texture is supposed to be in between store bought and a cream. It only has a slightly grainy feel, I used arrowroot powder so I'm not sure if the baking soda would give it more of a grainy feel or not.

 
At February 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Kendle said...

Two years ago, I had a major BO problem. I'd clean my pits, put on deodorant, and not 1 minute later I'd be sweating & smelled like nobody's business. I was strong! I tried every single natural deodorant possible, but none worked. Except this one! No more stink. When I make it I put lavender oil in too.

I originally found it on the Passionate Homemaking website: it works! You won't be let down!

 
At October 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Katie said...

This deodorant does work, it's about the only thing that works for me natural or not. BUT, after baby #2 it started to give me a horrible rash, and take the skin off my pits. I've tried a few other recipes, but still the same rash. Any ideas?

 
At October 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

Could it be yeast causing the rash? I'm not sure what advice to give as I haven't had to deal with that. I'm so sorry you are dealing with that. :(

 
At October 18, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

I have been making & using this recipe for almost a year now (also first saw it on Passionate Homemaking). My husband & I both like it as it's effective, inexpensive & natural. I use a wide mouth jar that's not too deep and make it straight in that.

To Katie,

When I first made it we both got some redness/rash, so I modified the amounts and now use 1 part baking soda to 2 parts arrowroot, then mix with enough coconut oil to achieve desired consistency. This still works fine for us but is less irritating. Maybe you could try modifying the amounts and using less baking soda.

To Debbie S.

We have found that the consistency also varies depending on the room temperature: in winter it tends to be quite hard (but softens when applied to your skin or keep in a warm place), and in summer can be more runny/cream like (keep in fridge &/or use less coconut oil when making).

Hope these comments help.

Blessings,
Angela

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home