Saturday, November 13, 2010

Organizing the Homeschool Classroom


Homeschooling Mom's have a unique challenge. We have to not only keep up the cleaning, cooking, and laundry, we also have upkeep all of our home school supplies and make sure they stay organized! And if you are anything like I am you end up collecting quite a few books! I needed a place to keep the books we use on a daily basis, and this storage cart has worked out beautifully!

It had to be assembled when it arrived in the mail. Thankfully my woodworking husband was home, and he tackled the job for me! With some help from our sons, he got the job done in about 30 minutes. He said it wasn't hard at all.




Then we had cleanup time from all the lovely Styrofoam! The children had a blast playing with it all for a while.



In the first big container I put my oldest son's Math U See blocks and his math book. It is big enough that it holds all of it just right. He just pulls the whole container out each day and brings it to the table.

I have different subjects put in each drawer, so my son knows right where to go for his phonics, etc. My goal is to eventually have each drawer labeled so that it is even more organized. Like I said, that is my goal and it hasn't happened yet!

I keep my coloring books in one big drawer and a box of crayons. My 2 year old knows right where to go if she wants to color. I also keep some little containers of toys for school time. When things are about ready to fall apart, I can run in there and grab a container of toys for my 2 year old, and keep her busy while I try and stay sane!

So far the cart has help up well with constant use from children. I have been pleased with it. My only complaint is that the plastic drawers do not glide as well as I would like. They sometimes have little plastic shavings come off the sides of the drawers when you are closing it. I think the drawer openings could be made a little tighter. Overall though it has endured our hard use on it!

These storage carts can be found at teacher stores, and I have seen them at Mardel Bookstore. Or you can purchase it online here.

Thanks to Alvin company for providing me this product to review. All my thoughts are strictly my own and I was not paid to write any of them.




Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At November 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is an awesome idea, but those things are a bit expensive! any other ideas?

 
At November 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Chantel said...

A friend of mine uses a plastic tote for each child with their daily books in it. They sit nicely on the book shelf. We have started using it in our house as well and it works great. The kids just grab their tote and take it to the table. They have a folder in the front with all of their assignments for the week. Everything is in one place (except for the things we only use occasionally).

 
At November 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM , Blogger ladybug said...

That is TOO cool! I wish they weren't so expensive though :o( It looks like an organizational dream!

 
At November 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

They are really expensive, aren't they? I have seen them on Craigslist before at a good price. Maybe you could watch for one there!

 
At November 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Gabe said...

Great shelf system! I do a similar thing that a PP mentioned. Each child has a white plastic "dish tub" that they keep their regular school work in, these all rest on a book shelf when not in use (each on has a name on it).

So, when the picture came up for this post I wondered when my son had been to your house? It seems your son looks very much like mine! LOL! Maybe it was just the angle, but my husband and children all mistook your son for my little guy! Here is a recent picture posted on my blog of him...http://www.gabesbabes.com/2010/11/whats-on-your-face.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home