Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Beauty of Chastity: Honoring Marriage Part 1

I ran across a three part series on Chastity by Stacy McDonald, the co-author of Passionate Housewives Desperate for God. After reading that excellent book I have a respect for the women who wrote it. This series makes a point about modesty that I whole heartily agree with; that being modesty is first an issue of the heart. From Jennifer Allen


The Beauty of Chastity: Honoring Marriage Part 1 by Stacy McDonald

Because of my own sinful past, as well as the fact that sexual sin introduced so many sorrows into my life (even before I was born), I learned early in my Christian walk that purity meant more than simply avoiding sex outside of marriage. Sexual purity, like all virtues, begins in the heart.

The Bible calls it chastity, which doesn’t always mean “sexual abstinence.” After all, even married women are called to be chaste (Titus 2:5, 1 Peter 3:2). Being chaste is more than a physical state of being; it is an active virtue that consistently demonstrates sexual purity—in thought, word, and deed.

Chastity requires me to honor the estate of marriage and to respect the marriage bed. It goes well beyond simply avoiding sexual activity outside of marriage. In fact, it’s far more active, since it includes loving my brother enough to help protect his chastity (Galatians 5:14). Whether I am single or married; whether it is my marriage or the marriage of my neighbor, I am called to honor marriage. Because "marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge." (Hebrews 13:4)

A Reflection of Mom

As moms, we have a huge responsibility. Our daughters are looking to us to find out how to grow into godly women. If a daughter sees her mother dressing in provocative clothes that reveal or accentuate her private areas, or donning clothes that are skin tight and obviously cut to allure the opposite sex, then that is what she is likely to emulate.

Moms, these precious little girls want to be "just like us!" What an honor! Now, let's see to it that we are pointing them to Christ:

"Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)

Please Go Here to read the rest of this excellent post.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home